Pakistanis warned against fake UAE jobs scam

Pakistan and the UAE in June agreed to set up a joint platform to facilitate overseas Pakistani workers to avoid fraud and job scams. (AFP)
Updated 11 July 2019
0

Pakistanis warned against fake UAE jobs scam

  • In June this year, both Pakistan and the UAE agreed to set up a joint platform to facilitate overseas Pakistani workers

ISLAMABAD: Responding to a surge in posts advertising fake jobs in the UAE, Pakistan’s government issued a warning to its nationals seeking jobs in the Middle East.

Through a post on Twitter, the Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development (MOPHRD) shared screen grabs of “fake” Dubai-based job adverts, advising people not to make any payments to the firms.

“Beware: Illegal Advertisement for Foreign Jobs. People are advised to not fall for these scams. Stay tuned for updates. Action initiated against the gang,” the MOPHRD tweeted on Monday.

According to the state-run news agency, the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP), the Bureau of Emigration and Overseas Employment (BEOE) barred 12 foreign recruiting firms from hiring Pakistani workforce in June this year “for not ensuring the promised jobs, timely and agreed salaries, besides issuance of fake visas.”

In June this year, both Pakistan and the UAE agreed to set up a joint platform to facilitate overseas Pakistani workers.

Under the joint initiative, both countries agreed on the need for Pakistani workers to sign an “employment job offer” with the UAE-based employer before moving to the country, in order to avoid any fraud and job scams.

According to official statistics, more than 1.6 million Pakistani expatriates live in the UAE and work in different public and private departments and remit over $4 billion annually to the country.


UK warns British ships to avoid Hormuz Strait

Updated 34 min 12 sec ago
0

UK warns British ships to avoid Hormuz Strait

LONDON: London Saturday advised British ships to avoid the Strait of Hormuz for “an interim period” following Iran’s seizure of a British-flagged oil tanker.
“We remain deeply concerned about Iran’s unacceptable actions which represent a clear challenge to international freedom of navigation,” a government spokeswoman said following an overnight meeting of the government’s COBRA emergencies committee to discuss the crisis.
“We have advised UK shipping to stay out of the area for an interim period.”
She noted comments by Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt earlier that “there will be serious consequences if the situation is not resolved.”
She added that there will be further meetings over the weekend and “we remain in close contact with our international partners.”
Hunt said on Saturday that he was worried that Iran had taken a “dangerous path” after it seized a British-flagged tanker on Friday.
“Yesterday’s action in Gulf shows worrying signs Iran may be choosing a dangerous path of illegal and destabilizing behavior after Gibraltar’s LEGAL detention of oil bound for Syria,” Hunt said on Twitter.
“As I said yesterday our reaction will be considered but robust. We have been trying to find a way to resolve Grace1 issue but WILL ensure the safety of our shipping.”
The British navy seized Iran’s Grace 1 tanker in Gibraltar on July 4 on suspicion of smuggling oil to Syria in breach of European Union sanctions.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said on Friday it had seized the British-flagged Swedish-owned Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz for breaking “international maritime rules.”
Iranian authorities alleged Saturday the ship had collided with a fishing boat. It said the tanker was now at anchor off the port of Bandar Abbas with all its crew aboard.