West Ham, Boro post 1st wins in Premier League

Updated 21 August 2016
0

West Ham, Boro post 1st wins in Premier League

LONDON: The first Premier League game staged at the centerpiece stadium of the London Olympics in 2012 served up some late drama Sunday, with new tenant West Ham scoring in the 85th minute to earn a 1-0 win over 10-man Bournemouth.
Track-and-field stars like Usain Bolt and David Rudisha produced some amazing memories at the Olympic Stadium — now known simply as London Stadium — four years ago, but this match was forgettable until a flurry of incidents in the latter stages.
Bournemouth was left a man short by Harry Arter’s sending-off in the 77th, and West Ham took advantage when winger Michail Antonio met an inviting left-wing cross by Gokhan Tore with a header at the far post.
“I did say to him two minutes before the goal, ‘Go and be a hero,’” West Ham captain Mark Noble said about Antonio. “He went, and was one.”
West Ham then needed a reaction save from goalkeeper Adrian followed by a clearance from near the goal-line to preserve its first league win at the team’s new home. Having waved an emotional goodbye to Upton Park last season after 112 years there, West Ham is in the first year of the club’s tenancy at the London Stadium and will take time to get used to the new surroundings.
Decimated by injuries to many of its key players, including Dimitri Payet, Andy Carroll, Manuel Lanzini and new record signing Andre Ayew, West Ham also had to cope with a tough week that saw them play Chelsea on Monday — losing 2-1 to a late goal — and then travel to Romania for a Europa League qualifier on Thursday. The threadbare squad returned to London in the early hours of Friday.
“It wasn’t a great game of football,” West Ham manager Slaven Bilic said. “We didn’t expect to play like Brazil.”
Bournemouth has lost both of its games in the league so far, having opened with a 3-1 home defeat to Manchester United.
Sunderland, and its new manager David Moyes, is also looking for its first point after a 2-1 loss to northeast rival Middlesbrough in the other game Sunday.
Uruguay striker Cristhian Stuani scored both of Middlesbrough’s first-half goals, the first a 25-meter screamer into the top corner in the 13th before finishing off a flowing team move in the 45th.
Patrick van Aanholt pulled a goal back in the 71st for Sunderland.

Bremen knocked out of German Cup, Leverkusen progresses
Third-division side Sportfreunde Lotte knocked six-time champion Werder Bremen out of the German Cup with a 2-1 victory, while Bayer Leverkusen progressed from the first round Sunday.
Matthias Rahn fired Lotte into an early lead, Zlatko Junuzovic equalized, but Andre Dej claimed what proved to be the winner in the 55th minute. Bremen’s Fin Bartels was sent off late.
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez scored and set up Karim Bellarabi’s goal as Leverkusen edged past fifth-tier SC Hauenstein 2-1. Andjelo Srzentic’s late goal for Hauenstein ensured a nervy finish with Leverkusen’s Bernd Leno forced to make a number of saves.
Antonio-Mirko Colak scored a hat trick as Darmstadt routed fifth-tier Bremer SV 7-0, Hoffenheim won 6-0 at fourth-tier FC Germania Egestorf/Langreder and second-division side Greuther Fuerth won 4-1 at fourth-tier Eintracht Norderstedt.
Eintracht Frankfurt and Mainz both needed penalties to get past lower-league opposition.
Mainz defeated fourth-tier Unterhaching 4-2 in the shootout after their game ended 3-3 following extra time.
Guillermo Varela scored the winning penalty as Frankfurt beat third-division Magdeburg 4-3 with the game tied 1-1 after extra time. Frankfurt defender Michael Hector earned a second yellow card in extra time, and the game was held up in normal time due to fan disturbances, with police forced to intervene.
Fourth-tier side Astoria Walldorf upset second-division Bochum with two goals in extra time for a 4-3 win, and second-division Union Berlin won 2-1 at third-tier MSV Duisburg thanks to an own goal in extra time.


Jordan Smith, Adrian Otaegui take surprise early lead at DP World Tour Championship in Dubai

Updated 15 November 2018
0

Jordan Smith, Adrian Otaegui take surprise early lead at DP World Tour Championship in Dubai

DUBAI: Jordan Smith and Adrian Otaegui shared the lead after day one of the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai as Francesco Molinari tightened his grip on the European Tour’s season-long crown.
England’s Jordan Smith and Spain’s Adrian Otaegui have a share of the lead going into Friday’s second round of the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai, as Francesco Molinari moved closer to sealing the Race to Dubai crown.
Smith and Otaegui both shot rounds of 66 at Jumeirah Golf Estates to sit six-under par, one shot clear of the defending champion Jon Rahm and former Masters champion Danny Willett.
Italian Molinari knows a tie for fifth place with one other will secure him the European Tour’s season-ending title, but he looks set to go one better as he was just a shot further back after a 68 on the Earth Course.
Defending champion Tommy Fleetwood needs to win the tournament to have any chance of denying Molinari, and the Englishman was three shots off the lead after a 69.
“I hit a lot of good shots on that front nine,” early leader Smith said. “I just couldn’t quite find the hole. I hit a lot of good putts, all burning the edge and then something clicked on that back nine and they started going in. I think you can just take a lot of confidence into the next few days.”
Otaegui, who remained bogey-free in his first round, has two wins on the European Tour but neither of them have come in 72-hole stroke play.
“I played really well,” he said. “I was solid from tee-to-green. I left myself lots of birdie chances. I thought I putted well. Six birdies, no bogeys, it’s always a very good start. It’s more important to have a good finish, as well.”
Otaegui made a birdie-birdie start and then added another on the par-five seventh to turn in 33. Gains on the tenth and 14th had him within one and a stunning third into the last set up a closing birdie.
Elsewhere, Rory McIlroy’s announcement that he would play only two European Tour events in 2019 was the main talking point on Thursday.
Former European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley has criticizedthe Northern Irishman for what he calls a “baffling” decision.
“It’s very disappointing,” McGinley said. “I’ve been racking my brains wondering how that can be.
“Obviously Rory sees it in other ways and has got his own rationale for that, although I’m finding it hard to understand,” added McGinley.
World No. 7 McIlroy has to play four European Tour tournaments, apart from the majors and World Golf Championship events, in order to retain Tour membership.
So far, McIlroy has only two tournaments on his schedule and he may miss the Irish Open, which he has hosted for the last four years.