OIC channel to confront Islamophobia, boost unity

Updated 20 February 2013
0

OIC channel to confront Islamophobia, boost unity

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation yesterday emphasized its plan to establish an effective satellite television channel to confront Islamophobia and strengthen economic ties between member countries.
“We’ll hold a four-day meeting of experts at OIC headquarters here from Saturday to discuss various aspects of the project in order to present it at the next meeting of OIC information ministers,” said Essam Salim Al-Shanti, director of the media department.
“Our objective is to have a strong and effective media that can address the needs of the Muslim world having different languages with various cultural backgrounds,” he said.
The new channel will present its programs in English, Arabic French. “Its main objective is to project the true picture of Islam and confront the challenge posed by Islamophobia, especially in the West,” Al-Shanti said.
He said the channel would also work for promoting intercultural dialogue in order to bring the Eastern and Western cultures and the North and South closer.
“It will help exchange of knowledge between OIC countries, highlight the issues of Muslim minorities and promote joint Islamic action,” the OIC official said.
Expanding trade and economic cooperation among the 57-member group is another major objective of the proposed channel, which will telecast scientific, technological, health and educational programs.
“The OIC channel will work for realizing the 10-point objectives set by the third emergency Islamic summit held in Makkah in 2005,” Al-Shanti said, adding that it would also cover all OIC events and programs.
The channel project was first proposed by a meeting of OIC information ministers in Gabon last year.
Later, a foreign ministers’ meeting in Djibouti endorsed the project.
The fourth emergency Islamic summit in Makkah and the recent OIC summit in Cairo also wanted to make the channel a reality.


Saudis down new missile from Yemen rebels: state media

Updated 22 April 2018
0

Saudis down new missile from Yemen rebels: state media

RIYADH: Saudi air defenses on Sunday intercepted a ballistic missile fired by Yemeni rebels at the Kingdom’s southern border city of Najran, which set a farm ablaze, state media said.
“Saudi forces were able to intercept (the missile),” the Saudi Press Agency said, citing the Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthi rebels.
“But the shrapnel scattered over residential areas and caused a fire at a farm belonging to a citizen, without causing any injuries.”
The missile was launched from Saada, the Houthi stronghold in northern Yemen, the coalition was cited as saying.
The coalition said another missile crashed in a Saudi desert on Sunday, without specifying a location, adding it caused no damage.
Sunday’s strikes are the latest in a series of rebel bombardments on Saudi territory.
Saudi forces said they intercepted a rebel ballistic missile targeting the Kingdom’s southern coastal city of Jizan on Friday, the second such strike in the area in over a week.
Earlier this month, Saudi forces said they intercepted rebel ballistic missiles fired at Riyadh and the south of the Kingdom, where two drones were also shot down.
Saudi Arabia has since March 2015 led a coalition of Arab states fighting to roll back the Houthis in Yemen and restore its neighbor’s internationally recognized government to power.
Nearly 10,000 people have since been killed in the conflict, in what the United Nations has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
In March, an Egyptian laborer became the first known fatality in a rebel missile attack on the Saudi capital.
Saudi Arabia accuses its arch-rival Iran of smuggling missiles to the Houthis — a charge Tehran denies.