Philippine rebels order fighters not to carry guns



Agence France Presse

Published — Saturday 15 December 2012

Last update 15 December 2012 12:22 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MANILA: Philippine Muslim rebel leaders who are negotiating a peace deal with Manila ordered their fighters yesterday not to wear military uniforms or carry guns in public, a spokesman said.
The order to members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) was relayed following unofficial complaints that rebel fighters were increasingly visible, wearing their camouflage uniforms and carrying firearms.
MILF spokesman Von Al-Haq said the rebel leadership had immediately acted on the complaints and issued orders to the 12,000-strong rebel force in the southern Philippines.
“This is in order to show that the officials and men of the Bangsamoro (Filipino Muslim) armed forces are disciplined,” he told AFP.
MILF fighters were told not to wear uniforms in “public places,” to not make “uncoordinated movements” carrying firearms, or set up checkpoints on roads without orders from the leadership, the spokesman said.
Von Al-Haq added that some MILF fighters had been wearing military attire and carrying weapons more openly following a “framework agreement” between the government and rebels in October.
The agreement paves the way for the eventual creation of an autonomous region for the Philippines’ Muslim minority in the southern Philippines, although more negotiating still needs to be carried out before a final pact can be sealed.
President Benigno Aquino and MILF chief Murad Ebrahim witnessed the signing of the accord on Oct. 15, which aims for a full peace deal by 2016.
The deal would include significant power and wealth-sharing with the MILF in a new autonomous region in the strife-torn south.
Muslim rebel groups have been fighting since the 1970s for full independence or autonomy in the south in a conflict that has claimed 150,000 lives.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A number of prominent Saudi women have cited several reasons for not running as candidates in the upcoming municipal elections. Some of them are an alleged lack of clarity on nominations and voting; they are too busy; and they want to make wa...
ALKHOBAR: A short circuit involving a transformer in the basement of the residential complex of Saudi Aramco resulted in the fire on Sunday, according to a preliminary probe.The blaze continued for over five hours in the residential towers. The fire...
JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...

Stay Connected

Facebook