Police hunt for Ferdinand coin throw culprit

Updated 10 December 2012
0

Police hunt for Ferdinand coin throw culprit

LONDON: Police said on Monday that they were working to track down the person responsible for throwing a coin at Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand during Sunday’s Manchester derby.
Ferdinand was left with blood streaming down his face from a cut above his eye after being struck by a coin as he celebrated Robin van Persie’s injury-time winner in United’s 3-2 victory at Manchester City.
Greater Manchester Police said that they had made 13 arrests and charged nine people over offenses that occurred before, during and after the match.
“To have just 13 arrests for a crowd of this size and a match of this proportion is a testament to the policing operation we put in place,” said Chief Inspector Steve Howard.
“Despite fierce rivalry and high tension, there was no major disorder. However, we will continue to investigate the coin-throwing incident and are determined to work with the club to bring the perpetrator to justice.”
The Football Association (FA) are also investigating the incident.
Among the people charged were two men accused of entering the field of play during the game.
City goalkeeper Joe Hart had to restrain one young fan from getting at Ferdinand after the coin-throwing incident, prompting the United defender to thank his one-time England colleague on Twitter.
A 30-year-old man was also charged with what police said was a “racially aggravated public order” offense.
All the people charged are due to appear before magistrates in Manchester on January 4 next year.
United’s victory took them six points clear of defending champions City at the top of the Premier League table.
FA chairman David Bernstein said the crowd trouble that marred the game was “deplorable” and called for strict punishments to be meted out to those responsible.
“It is deplorable to see those incidents and to see Rio Ferdinand with blood on his face is absolutely terrible,” he told Sky Sports News.
“I think it’s disturbing that we’re seeing a recurrence of these types of incidents. We’ve had racial abuse issues, the odd pitch incursion, things being thrown at players — it’s very unacceptable and has to be dealt with severely.”
He added: “It’s a difficult social problem. I think there’s a copycat thing: something happens and other people copy it and this sort of thing can spiral.
“To my mind it’s for the FA, the whole game of football and the authorities to work together to deal with this most severe matter.
“I believe that if necessary these people need to go to the court and be banned for life, if they’re found out.”
Meanwhile, Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) chief executive Gordon Taylor said there was a case to be made for erecting nets to protect players from missiles thrown by supporters.
“I think you’ve got to give consideration to possibly, as has been suggested, some netting in vulnerable areas, be it behind the goals and round the corner flags,” he told BBC Radio 5 Live.
thw/phz


Panathinaikos banned from Europe for three years by UEFA

Updated 10 min 34 sec ago
0

Panathinaikos banned from Europe for three years by UEFA

  • Panathinaikos players went on strike earlier this month over unpaid wages, and had also been hit with a three-point deduction by the Greek Super League over outstanding debts owed to former defender Jens Wemmer.
  • The 20-time Greek champions have a rich heritage in Europe, having lost the 1971 European Cup final to Ajax before semifinal defeats by Liverpool in 1985 and Ajax in 1996.

PARIS: Greek giants Panathinaikos have been banned from European competition for three years by UEFA for failing to pay their debts, European football’s governing body announced on Tuesday.
The club were handed a suspended sentence in December and given until March 1 to settle their unpaid bills, but failed to do so and have been fined €100,000 ($122,398), having also been ordered to pay the same amount in December.
They appeared unlikely to qualify for Europe next season anyway, though, sitting seventh in the Greek top flight.
Panathinaikos players went on strike earlier this month over unpaid wages, and had also been hit with a three-point deduction by the Greek Super League over outstanding debts owed to former defender Jens Wemmer.
Owner Yiannis Alafouzos agreed to sell the club to an Asian investment group on Saturday.
The 20-time Greek champions have a rich heritage in Europe, having lost the 1971 European Cup final to Ajax before semifinal defeats by Liverpool in 1985 and Ajax in 1996.
Earlier this season, they were beaten by Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League playoff round.
Greek football has been plagued by controversy this season, with several high-profile incidents.
PAOK president Ivan Savvidis was banned for three years last month after invading the pitch with a gun during a game against title rivals AEK Athens, while former Olympiakos coach Oscar Garcia was hit by a cashier’s roll thrown by a PAOK fan during a match in February.
The Spaniard later resigned after Olympiakos president Evangelos Marinakis fined and exiled first-team players over perceived bad results.