Redknapp brands Swansea ball boy ‘disgusting’



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Saturday 26 January 2013

Last update 26 January 2013 2:10 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: Harry Redknapp has spoken out in support of Chelsea’s Eden Hazard following his red card for kicking a ball boy against Swansea, instead labeling the actions of the ball boy involved as “disgusting.”
The comments from QPR manager Redknapp came after the ball boy at the center of the row, 17-year-old Charlie Morgan — who is also the son of Swansea’s biggest shareholder — took to Twitter after a “crazy 24 hours” and confirmed that he would not be pressing charges against Hazard.
Hazard was sent off by referee Chris Foy for kicking Morgan in the closing stages of Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup semi-final second leg at Liberty Stadium, which ended 0-0 as the Swans advanced to the final 2-0 on aggregate.
The Belgium playmaker lost patience when Morgan refused to hand over the ball after it had gone out for a goal kick.
Morgan fell to the ground as Hazard attempted to get the ball from him, with the 22-year-old then trying to kick it from under him but appearing to instead make contact with the youngster.
However, Redknapp said he sympathized with Hazard and holds Morgan responsible for the incident.
“Hazard toe-poked the ball under the boy’s body. Why is the kid lying on the ball in the first place?” he said.
“You can imagine the frustration — you’re a player trying to reach a cup final but there’s this kid behaving like an idiot who won’t give you the ball back.
“Hazard didn’t kick the kid, he kicked the ball underneath him, but the whole thing got blown out of all proportion.
“I can think of a lot of players who would have kicked a bit harder than he did. He just toe-poked the ball away.
“The boy was tweeting before the game that he’s a super time waster. The way he behaved was disgusting.” In the early hours of Friday, Morgan tweeted: “Crazy 24 hours. Spoke to Hazard and I will not be pressing charges. Be in touch.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...
RIYADH: Four citizens have been arrested in two murder cases, one of which was a road rage. One of the suspects resisted arrest and even opened fire on the police, but no one was injured.According to the Riyadh police, a clinic informed them that it...
MAKKAH: Thirty percent of male middle school students and 23 percent of female students take some form of drugs, a recent scientific study from the National Center for Youth Research confirmed. The study shows drug consumption rates among students in...
RIYADH: Several government departments participating in a campaign to fight breast cancer in the Eastern Province will offer their recommendations to the Ministry of the Interior to include breast cancer checks for women aged 40 and above as part of...

Stay Connected

Facebook