Redknapp replaces Hughes as QPR manager



REUTERS

Published — Sunday 25 November 2012

Last update 24 November 2012 8:03 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: Harry Redknapp has been named manager of Queens Park Rangers following Friday’s sacking of Mark Hughes, the Premier League’s bottom club announced on Saturday.
Redknapp, who was fired by fellow London club Tottenham Hotspur in June, has agreed a two-and-a-half-year contract, the club announced, although the manager himself later said that the deal had yet to be signed because of the speed of events.
Hughes’s assistants Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki were put in temporary charge of the team for Saturday’s daunting trip to face Manchester United in the league and Redknapp would watch from the stands he told Sky Sports News.
QPR, who narrowly avoided relegation last season, have not won any of their 12 league matches this season under Welshman Hughes, who lost his job after 10 months at Loftus Road.
“I’m delighted to be back in the managerial hot-seat at QPR,” Redknapp, 65, told the club website (www.qpr.co.uk).
“There’s no doubt there’s a lot of ability in the squad but for one reason or another things haven’t gone as well as everyone expected since the start of the season.
“I can’t wait to get to work and get the results necessary to kick-start our season.” Regarded as one of the best managers in the English game, Redknapp had been close to accepting the job of Ukraine coach this week, but said on Friday that he would be the happiest man if he could save Rangers from relegation.
“It was a really interesting job,” Redknapp said of the Ukraine post in a telephone interview on the BBC on Saturday. “I had met the people and to be honest it was almost a done deal.
“Then I got the phone call about QPR and I just couldn’t resist the Premier League.
“I haven’t even signed my contract yet,” Redknapp added. “It has been a bit hectic since yesterday.” QPR chairman Tony Fernandes said Redknapp had been the club’s top target for the job.
“His man-management skills are second to none and we are confident he is the right man to lead us away from the bottom of the table,” he told the club website.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...
RIYADH: Recruitment offices here have decided to stop hiring Bangladeshi workers because they claim that a supply crunch has raised costs.Ibrahim Al-Megheimish, a recruitment expert, said that there are too few Bangladeshi workers seeking employment,...
RIYADH: As many as 200 students have enrolled into different courses at the Riyadh-based Saudi Aviation Flight Academy (SAFA) with 70 percent of them being Saudi nationals, said Saleem Bava, head of marketing and admission at SAFA.SAFA offers a mix o...

Stay Connected

Facebook