Roma sacks coach Zeman after loss to Cagliari



AGENCIES

Published — Sunday 3 February 2013

Last update 2 February 2013 10:25 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ROME: Italian Serie A club AS Roma sacked coach Zdenek Zeman on Saturday after a 4-2 loss at home to Cagliari on Friday night.
“AS Roma announces that it has relieved Mr.Zdenek Zeman of his position as coach of the first team,” a club statement said.
“The team has been temporarily entrusted to Aurelio Andreazzoli.”
Friday’s defeat was the latest in a line of embarrassing results for Roma, who have yet to win this year and find themselves in eighth place on 34 points, nine behind local rivals Lazio in the third Champions League spot
They are also three points behind AC Milan, who are fifth and occupy the second Europa League slot.
Zeman was brought in with much fanfare to replace Luis Enrique in the close season after the Spaniard presided over a disappointing season.
However, the Czech-born coach has failed to challenge for the title or the Champions League places, both season’s objectives.
While their attacking play can often be exceptional, his team have conceded 42 goals so far this season, more than any other side apart from 17th-placed Pescara.
The fans finally turned on him after Cagliari’s fourth goal on Friday, with hardcore fans in the Olympic Stadium displaying a banner that read “Boemo (Bohemian, Zeman’s nickname) out,” before turning their backs on the game.
After a meeting in Rome on Saturday morning between club directors and the owner James Pallotta, the decision was taken to relieve the coach of his duties.
“We decided to sack Zeman because we thought it was the only decision to take,” sporting director Franco Baldini told reporters after the meeting.
“He’s not the only one responsible, but for now we can only change the manager.
“We have faith in Andreazzoli, he knows the players well as he’s been here for years, which means we don’t lose nore time with him getting to know the players.
“After talking it over with the owner and the management we thought it was the right decision.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...
RIYADH: Recruitment offices here have decided to stop hiring Bangladeshi workers because they claim that a supply crunch has raised costs.Ibrahim Al-Megheimish, a recruitment expert, said that there are too few Bangladeshi workers seeking employment,...
RIYADH: As many as 200 students have enrolled into different courses at the Riyadh-based Saudi Aviation Flight Academy (SAFA) with 70 percent of them being Saudi nationals, said Saleem Bava, head of marketing and admission at SAFA.SAFA offers a mix o...

Stay Connected

Facebook