Ronaldo’s trick helps Real Madrid sail into Copa de Rey quarters



THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Friday 11 January 2013

Last update 11 January 2013 1:49 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MADRID: Cristiano Ronaldo steered Real Madrid into the Copa de Rey quarterfinals on Wednesday night by completing his hat trick in a 4-0 win against Celta Vigo after Sergio Ramos had been sent off.
Madrid qualified 5-2 on aggregate, but it was Ronaldo’s third goal in the 87th minute at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in the second leg that put the result of the last-16 match beyond doubt.
It was Ronaldo’s third hat trick this season and the 18th of his Madrid career, but his opening goal in the third minute was the pick of the three. The unmarked Portugal forward struck a powerful, swerving shot from distance that gave goalkeeper Sergio Alvarez no chance, with the ball nestling inside the far side netting.
“The team wasn’t comfortable and that first goal that Cristiano hit like something else left even me applauding,” Celta coach Paco Herrera said.
Ronaldo made it 2-0 when he raced through the middle, beating the offside trap to latch onto a chipped pass from midfielder Luka Modric and divert the ball into the net in the 24th.
Ronaldo completed his hat trick on a counterattack, finishing adroitly after combining with Gonzalo Higuain. The Bernabeu erupted with chants of “Ballon d’Or,” a reference to the title Lionel Messi won for the fourth time earlier this week.
“Let’s hope Cristiano Ronaldo carries on like this. They are going to be four or five hard months ahead of us,” said Higuain, referring to the upcoming Champions League clash against Manchester United and the 16-point gap to leader Barcelona in the Spanish league.
Sami Khedira scored the fifth goal in the 89th minute, while Madrid defender Ramos was sent off in the 73rd after receiving a second yellow card for fouling Alex Lopez.
The game began with fans cheering the selection of goalkeeper and captain Iker Casillas, who was in the starting line-up for the first time in three matches after having been contentiously dropped. Somewhat surprisingly, coach Jose Mourinho also received a good reception when his name was read out over the speaker system.
Ronaldo had a goal disallowed for offside in the 37th minute, a decision that appeared incorrect and enraged Mourinho. The coach was also furious when Ronaldo was fouled on the edge of the box, picking up a loose ball and kicking it into his own dugout.
“Sometimes people aren’t happy with the coach but we are still in the Champions League and in the Copa — we could even win the league,” Ronaldo said.
Earlier, Sevilla also advanced to the last eight by winning 6-2 on aggregate against Mallorca despite losing 2-1 at home in the return leg.
The hosts took the lead through Manuel del Moral in the 22nd minute, the forward tapping the ball in from close range after Juan Torres had failed to score from a corner.

In another goalmouth scramble, Brandon Tomas found the net in the 51st minute to level for Mallorca and make up for teammate Tomar Hamed’s unsuccessful attempt.
Mallorca winger Alejandro Alfaro pounced on a poor clearance by Torres to beat goalkeeper Andres Palop in the 55th minute and make it 2-1.
Bosnia winger Miroslav Stevanovic made his debut for Sevilla at the start of the second half.
Also, Zaragoza beat 10-man Levante 2-0 to go through 3-0 on aggregate.
Franco Zuculini and Francisco Montanes scoring, while Levante defender Hector Rodas was shown a straight red card for a reckless, knee-high challenge on Zuculini in the 60th minute.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTNH) has encouraged businessmen to invest in tourism villages in Asir region.“Tourism villages are considered to be one of the most attractive options in the province,” said Mohammad A...
RIYADH: The General Presidency for Youth Welfare (GPYW) has taken part in serving pilgrims and visitors to the Two Holy Mosques as part of the organization’s voluntary and humanitarian work. In his statement, the head of the Riyadh office, Abdulrahma...
RIYADH: Prince Faisal bin Bandar, governor of Riyadh, opened on Wednesday 20 environmentally friendly entertainment projects with a total area of more than 270,000 sq. meters. Among interesting features of these new parks are replicas of the Eiffel T...
JEDDAH: Children and youths afflicted with cancer in the Eastern Province have launched a campaign against terrorist attacks. The patients, their families and doctors have slammed the attacks, which saw many killed and injured, a local publication re...
JEDDAH: Failing to report what one knows about the presence or plans of terrorists and extremists is a “grave sin” and makes the person who fails to do so an accomplice to the resulting actions, according to Abdullah bin Suleiman Al-Manae, a member o...
RIYADH: The World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) is a major player when it comes to relief work in countries wrecked by human tragedies, Secretary-General Saleh Al-Wohaibi said on Tuesday.He was addressing some 700 guests at the 13th annual iftar pa...
JEDDAH: The General Committee for the Municipal Elections has issued new regulations to oversee the polls, which will be taking place on Dec. 12, 2015.The rules released on Monday spelled out requirements for council members, list of violations and a...
JEDDAH: The Martyrs Fund has announced that it disburses 75 percent of its annual revenues to helping the needy families of martyrs, the wounded, prisoners of war and missing persons.Approximately 25 percent of the revenues is allocated for further i...
MADINAH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived in Madinah on Tuesday accompanied by several princes and senior officials for his first visit since ascending the throne. He was met at the airport by Madinah Gov. Prince Faisal bin Salma...
JEDDAH: The Council of Ministers has condemned the terrorist attacks in Kuwait, France, Tunisia and Egypt over the past few days.At its weekly meeting chaired by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman on Monday night, the Cabinet said that the...
JEDDAH: The father of the suicide bomber who blew himself up in a mosque in Kuwait has blamed “evil” forces for his son’s behavior.Sounding confused and sad, Sulaiman Al-Gabbaa, the father of Fahad Al-Gabbaa, said: “An evil hand has sent my son to hi...
JEDDAH: The Saudi Traffic Department has denied that it is introducing new license plates for cars.It said hackers posted pictures of the supposedly new license plates on its Twitter account on Sunday. The department said the news, which went viral,...
JEDDAH: The Al-Haramain Train project is described as the largest public transportation project in the Middle East. This vital and strategic project is one of the implementation schemes of the mass expansion of the Saudi railway across the country.Th...
JEDDAH: The number of marriages between expatriates and Saudis has dropped 84 percent to 1,928 since the start of this Islamic year that began on Oct. 24, compared to the same period the previous year.The Ministry of Justice said that there were 12,0...
JEDDAH: The General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA) launched the idea of a project called Watani to link all parts of the Kingdom by air by beefing up activities at important provincial airports.Capt. Abdul Hakim Badar, assistant vice president a...

Stay Connected

Facebook