Rumors quashed about exit/re-entry fee hike



DAMMAM: SIRAJ WAHAB

Published — Monday 28 January 2013

Last update 30 January 2013 7:13 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

The Passport Department has categorically denied any increase in the exit/re-entry fees.
“There is no change in the existing fee structure,” said Imad Al-Abdulqader, the official spokesman for the department in the Eastern Province. “We have not issued any circular in this regard.”
Talking to Arab News yesterday, he said: “As was the case before, a single exit/re-entry visa costs SR 200 and a multiple one SR 500. Nothing more, nothing less.”
On reports about the possibility of any increase in the future, Al-Abdulqader said: “We cannot speak what is going to happen in the future, but as of now, there is absolutely no change, we have not doubled the visa fee.”
Al-Abdulqader’s statement scotches all rumors that have been circulating among expatriates for quite sometime now.
“It is excellent news for all of us,” said a relieved Jamal H. Siddique, a longtime expatriate from South Africa. “For those who have large families like mine, those rumors about the doubling of exit/re-entry fees were quite unnerving,” he told Arab News.
He thanked the Passport Department for coming out with a categorical statement on the issue. “It was a hot topic of discussion among all expatriates,” he said. “We were continuously badgering our ‘mandoob’ to clear the air, but he would just say ‘maafi mushkila.’”
Abdul Rahman Mutaher, a Pakistani expatriate in Alkhobar, said he knew there was no truth to the rumors because he had gotten an exit/re-entry visa for his wife and children only last week. “I told my friends about the first-hand experience, but the rumors continued to circulate feverishly,” he said.
The rumors first started making the rounds when the announcement about the SR 2,400 levy on every expatriate working in non-Saudized private companies was first announced.
Rania Mustafa, a Lebanese teacher in Riyadh, expressed delight at the Passport Department clarification. “We were sick of these rumors and what had compounded our problem was that there was no official statement denying those rumors,” she said.
“If the rumors were true, then we had decided not to go on vacation this year,” said a Jeddah-based Indian teacher Suhail Ziad. “Doubling the visa fee would have meant that I would have had to dish out SR 2,400 for six members of my family, and with air fares looking skywards I just would not have had enough money to plan our vacation,” he said.
“Thanking you for breaking this good news,” said Suleman Yusuf, a Sri Lankan expatriate working in a Jeddah hotel. “It is a big relief.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JOUF: A citizen in Jouf has become at 94 the oldest person to register for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections.The man, who was not named, arrived at the Zaloum election center accompanied by his 62-year-old son, an online publication reported on...
JEDDAH: The spike in cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus is worrying because of the upcoming annual pilgrimage, according to a top doctor.Hanan Balkhi, head of the Health Ministry’s national scientific committee of infect...
RIYADH: Senior Indian police and intelligence officials interrogated two Saudis after they were detained following their suspicious movement in Trichy, a southern city in India’s Tamil Nadu state. Officials detained the duo — Rasheed and Abdul Rahma...
MADINAH: Defective air conditioning units at Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz International Airport (PMIA) have left passengers sweltering amid the excessive afternoon heat. The travelers had to resort to using pieces of paper as fans to cool themselves...
RIYADH: The participation of Saudi women in the upcoming municipal council elections is set to ensure they take their rightful place in boosting social and economic development in the country.Many women have already begun registering as voters, and w...
JEDDAH: Only 7,034 Saudis have so far registered in Riyadh and the Eastern Province for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections, a local publication reported Wednesday.The elections, held for the third time in the Kingdom, are expected to attract a r...
JEDDAH: A total of 66,000 Nigerians will perform Haj this year, according to the National Haj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).The first group of 300 pilgrims arrived Sunday, sources at the Nigerian embassy said. “The first flight that took off from th...
RIYADH: The Passports Department has announced that there will be heavy fines for people transporting Haj pilgrims without licenses.There would be fines of up to SR100,000, a two-year-prison sentence and deportation for anyone found harboring or prov...
RIYADH: The Public Education Evaluation Commission (PEEC) head said on Wednesday that private schools will undergo performance evaluation in the next two to three weeks by local specialists who have just finished their training under the organization...
JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia has announced that the country’s citizens are safe in Lebanon, but has joined Kuwait and Bahrain in issuing advisories warning its citizens not to travel there.Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Asiri said Tuesday that the embassy h...
RIYADH: Assistant Director General for Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at the Ministry of Health (MoH) Mansour Al-Suaidan has been selected by the Kent, Leonard, Adam and Scott (KLAS) as the only Arab advisory board member.“Mansour Al...
JEDDAH: The local Pakistani Journalists Forum (PJF), in cooperation with the Consulate General of Pakistan, celebrated the country’s 69th Independence Day, where children thrilled the audience with patriotic songs.Pakistan Consul General Aftab A. Kho...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Criminal Court in Riyadh has sentenced an Algerian expatriate to 18 months in jail for overstaying his Umrah visa. The court also found evidence that he tried cross the Saudi border to fight in Syria, a local publication repor...
JEDDAH: An official at the Ministry of Labor confirmed that ministry will launch an e-recruitment service via the Musaned website next week. The service will allow employers to apply for visas without the need to visit labor offices.Ahmad Al-Ghamdi,...
RIYADH: A new Saudi program on television called “Security of the Kingdom” will go on air on Tabah Channel starting on the first week of September, according to Dr. Mohsin Shaikh Al-Hassan, the program’s host.“The program is important and timely beca...

Stay Connected

Facebook