Russia police to use lie detector in Bolshoi attack probe

Updated 29 January 2013
0

Russia police to use lie detector in Bolshoi attack probe

MOSCOW: Russian police said Monday they planned to use a lie detector to question witnesses about the vicious acid attack against the artistic director of the Bolshoi ballet. “Investigators... plan to question several witnesses in the case of the attack on Sergei Filin with a lie detector,” a spokesman with the Moscow police told Russian news agencies.
Last week police questioned Bolshoi’s star dancer Nikolai Tsiskaridze as a witness over the January 17 attack by an unknown assailant who fled after throwing acid into Filin’s face and eyes. The violent incident came after months of squabbling inside what is arguably the world’s best known ballet troupe. A former star dancer himself, 42-year-old Filin is currently in hospital in Moscow and has undergone several operations to save his eyesight and repair the disfigurement he suffered.
Doctors said on Monday his latest eye surgery went well and some vision has returned, but more treatment was necessary. “Today he has eyesight. I won’t say how much, but he sees relatively well after such a (grave) injury,” Russia’s head ophthalmologist Vladimir Neroyev told Interfax news agency. The attack on Filin, who has served as artistic director of the Bolshoi ballet since 2011, has horrified the troupe and cast an international spotlight on the sometimes scandalous rivalries within the 237-year-old institution.
Bolshoi’s management has linked the attack to internal divisions within the company, while other observers, including Filin’s predecessor Alexei Ratmansky, blamed the Bolshoi’s lack of “theater ethics” and unresolved money-related issues such as ticket scalping.


Malaysia mosque bans tourists after ‘sexy dance’ goes viral

Updated 25 June 2018
0

Malaysia mosque bans tourists after ‘sexy dance’ goes viral

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian mosque has banned tourists after a video of two female visitors in skimpy outfits dancing in front of the Muslim holy site went viral online.
The pair, of East Asian appearance and believed to be foreigners, were filmed doing the dance in skimpy shorts and tops exposing their midriffs on a wall outside the main mosque in the city of Kota Kinabalu, a popular site for visitors and tour groups.
Residents and local Muslim groups were incensed by the risqué moves outside the holy site on Borneo island, which is renowned for its huge blue and gold dome and ornate minarets.
An outraged onlooker can be heard in the video saying: “Why don’t they just fall off the wall?”
Mosque chairman Jamal Sakaran at the weekend slammed “the unacceptable behavior by foreign tourists” and announced a temporary halt to any tourists visiting the mosque in Sabah state, adding the move was to preserve the sanctity of Islam.
The nationality of the women involved was not clear.
State Tourism Minister Christina Liew told The Star newspaper legal action would not be taken against the pair as they were likely unaware of the severity of their actions. But authorities wanted to track them down to explain “that something they deemed as ‘fun’ was actually disrespectful and not right in Sabah.”
Large numbers of tourists — both local and foreign — visit the mosque, often during a brief stop in Kota Kinabalu before heading into the jungles of Sabah to see the jungle-clad state’s abundance of wildlife.
Tourists can usually visit mosques in Muslim-majority Malaysia, where most practice a moderate form of Islam, but are advised to wear modest clothing.
It is not the first time that foreign visitors have landed in hot water for disrespecting local culture in Sabah.
In 2015 four Western tourists pleaded guilty to obscenity charges for taking nude photos on popular peak Mount Kinabalu, an act some in the country blamed for causing a deadly earthquake.