12% of rehab terrorists relapse

Updated 28 November 2014
0

12% of rehab terrorists relapse

Twelve percent of those who had participated in government-run rehabilitation programs for terrorism have relapsed and returned to terror-related activities, a Ministry of Interior official has revealed.
Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said officials at the Prince Muhammad bin Naif Center for Counseling and Care are now trying to determine the causes for these failures.
However, he said the program has been largely successful. Over the past two years more than 2,500 people had participated in the programs, with 80 percent not returning to terrorist activities, he said.
Al-Turki rejected the notion that the program itself caused some to relapse and take part in terror-related activities in the Kingdom. “Without the program, thousands of those who were released would have been exploited by terrorist organizations,” he said.
He said the task of staff at the center is to determine why the 12 percent relapsed. “We will use the findings to reduce relapses.” No rehabilitation program could be 100 percent successful, he said.
Al-Turki said the center recently launched online counseling programs for citizens and residents. Those using the site must abide by the ministry’s rules to debate in a polite manner and respect the views and feelings of others. No one is allowed to ridicule or insult anyone, he said. The website does not allow links to other sites or services.
The ministry announced earlier that 90 people graduated from rehabilitation programs in Riyadh and Jeddah this year. All graduates would undergo follow-up programs to ensure they integrate properly into society.


Houthi rocket targets desalination plant in Al-Shuqaiq

Updated 20 June 2019
0

Houthi rocket targets desalination plant in Al-Shuqaiq

  • Saudi officials are working to identify the missile
  • The Houthi militants claimed the attack

DUBAI: A rocket fired by Houthi militia exploded near a desalination plant in Al-Shuqaiq southwest of Saudi Arabia, but did not cause any damage or injuries, state news agency SPA reported on Thursday.
Military and security organs were working to identify the type of rocket that was fired, Arab Coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki said in the report.
The Houthi militants claimed responsibility for the attack through their media channels.
The attack constitutes a war crime, as it targets civilian facilities, and shows that Iran is supplying new weaponry for the militants, Al-Maliki said, adding that the Houthis continue to use Hodeidah port to smuggle arms and endanger regional and international peace.
The Arab coalition would take immediate action to protect civilians against the Houthi attacks, Al-Maliki said.