Saudi team visiting Dhaka to formalize recruitment process

Updated 02 February 2015
0

Saudi team visiting Dhaka to formalize recruitment process

A special delegation from the Saudi Labor Ministry which was commissioned on Sunday in a royal decree issued last week will shortly leave for Dhaka to work out the details for the recruitment of Bangladesh manpower, the Bangladesh Embassy announced here on Sunday.
The royal decree announced lifting of the 2008 ban on manpower recruitment from Bangladesh. The skilled workers, both males and females, will be given visas for employment in the Kingdom and children with valid resident cards who have reached 18 years of age will be allowed to transfer their sponsorship to new sponsors under the current labor regulations.
Bangladesh Minister for Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment Khandker Mosharraf Hossain recently led a seven-member delegation to the Kingdom where he was assured by Labor Minister Adel Fakeih that the ban would be lifted soon.
Fakeih thanked the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman for allowing the recruitment of skilled workers from labor exporting countries to meet the labor requirement. The Saudi delegation comprising senior labor officials will assist and advise the officials in Dhaka as to the type of orientation programs to be conducted for the prospective workers from that country.
Fakeih said the labor recruitment from Bangladesh has been resumed on the assurance by the Dhaka government that qualified and skilled workers will be sent for employment to the Kingdom.
Bangladesh Ambassador Mohamed Shahidul Islam in Riyadh welcomed the decision and said, “The re-launch of the recruitment of manpower from Bangladesh will ensure that the labor relations of the two countries will be further strengthened.” He said the opening of the Saudi labor market for Bangladesh was a huge success in diplomatic terms for the South Asian country.
It’s a “major milestone in the diplomatic relations between the two countries,” the envoy said.
Islam said that his government has given a deadline for its nationals to obtain their Machine Readable Passport (MRP) by 2015. Following the announcement, more than 2,000 Bangladeshis line up at their embassy daily to get their machine readable passports.
To cope with the rush, he said the mission has requested all embassy officials to help its consular department to expedite the work.
There are some 1.5 million Bangladesh expatriates in the Kingdom and they all have to get their documents processed, he noted.
He recalled that around 750,000 Bangladeshi migrant workers benefited from an amnesty for illegal workers by the Saudi authorities earlier. Of the beneficiaries, about 400,000 undocumented workers’ passports were renewed and issued while around 350,000 workers, who were at risk of becoming undocumented, were able to change their professions.
In addition to the consular services offered in Riyadh, the Bangladesh Embassy also outsourced its consular services in Jubail, Al-Ahsa, Dammam, Al-Jouf, Sakaka and Al-Qassim.
The Jeddah Consulate further offers consular services in Khamis Mushayt, Jazan, Najran, Tabuk, Yanbu, Al-Baha and Madinah.
Around 100,000 pilgrims come for Haj annually and a large number of Umrah pilgrims also come from Dhaka throughout the year.


Yemen FM: No peace before Houthi disarmament

The Arab coalition is striving to rebuild the humanity destroyed by the Houthis, says Yemen’s Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani. File/Getty Images
Updated 26 May 2018
0

Yemen FM: No peace before Houthi disarmament

  • Alongside military operations, the coalition is undertaking humanitarian work to “rebuild the humanity destroyed by the Houthis
  • The Houthis’ “weapons and missiles must be handed over, and there is no room for dialogue or negotiation about them

LONDON: There cannot be peace in Yemen unless Houthi militias abandon their arms, said the country’s newly appointed Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani.

The internationally recognized government will not allow Iran, which backs the Houthis, to maintain a foothold in Yemen or interfere in its internal affairs, he added.
“This terrorist regime” in Tehran, “which supplies terrorist militias all over the world, is close to collapse as a result of international and popular pressure by the Iranian people, who are suffering as their terrorist state spends billions here and there for a foolish expansionist idea,” Al-Yamani said.
“The modern and civilized world that respects international law cannot accept the existence of a state sponsor of terrorism and all subversive and terrorist militias in the region,” he added.
“If Iran wants to be part of the social, cultural and political fabric of our region, it must rationalize its behavior.” Its “terrorist behavior… encourages the spread of violence in the region,” he said.
Al-Yamani added that he will start his tenure as foreign minister by focusing on negotiations and the efforts of the UN special envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths.
The government is working round the clock with the envoy’s office so he can present his ideas on June 7 after consultations with the government, Al-Yamani said.
There will be meetings in the next few days with Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, and a special meeting with the negotiating team, all within the framework of the envoy’s efforts in the region, Al-Yamani added.
Griffiths has visited several countries in the region, and has met with Yemen’s government and the leadership of the Saudi-led Arab coalition.
The Houthis “suggest that political arrangements should come before security and military arrangements,” said Al-Yamani.
But “the coup against the state in January 2015 came as a result of the preference of political over security arrangements,” he added.
“And after the Houthis achieved their goals, they turned against the national consensus reflected in the peace and partnership agreement, under which the president provided facilities to save the homeland from the fate we have reached today,” Al-Yamani said.
“We cannot talk about any political arrangements because we consider them to be a foregone conclusion if we achieve the withdrawal and delivery of heavy and medium weapons and missiles,” he added. “We cannot retry something we tried before... The coup must end.”
The Houthis’ “weapons and missiles must be handed over, and there is no room for dialogue or negotiation about them,” he said. “Heavy and medium weapons should be handed over, and those militias must be withdrawn.”
Al-Yamani criticized Iran’s ambassador to the UN for speaking in dovish language while his country causes destruction in Yemen.
“Most of what we have been able to remove of the mines planted by the Houthis had the trademark of Iranian industry,” Al-Yamani said.
“Even if we achieve peace today, we will need decades to demine... There will be no possibility of safe living in the areas where mines were planted.”
Al-Yamani expressed the gratitude of his government and people for the Saudi-led coalition’s support for the government to achieve security and peace in Yemen and the whole region.
Alongside military operations, the coalition is undertaking humanitarian work to “rebuild the humanity destroyed by the Houthis, rebuild the Yemeni psyche destroyed by the war, distribute goods throughout Yemen, and reconstruct what was destroyed by the Houthi war machine,” he said.
“All this confirms that the project of restoring the state… is the project of life,” which is “opposed to the project of death brought by Iran and its Houthi militias to Yemen,” he added.
This interview is simultaneously published in Asharq Al-Awsat.