4,484 reports filed with anti-graft body last year

Updated 13 May 2015
0

4,484 reports filed with anti-graft body last year

An official source at the national anti-corruption commission organization (Nazaha) has said that 4,484 corruption related reports were registered with Nazaha last year.
A total of 463 or 36 percent of the complaints were against financial and administrative irregularities.
According to the source, 155 of the reports were regarding misuse of administration offenses, 119 abuse of power, 71 for misuse of public money, 29 career idleness, 26 fraud, 22 bribery, 21 nepotism and favoritism and 20 of misappropriation of public funds.
“Regarding poor services and projects, Nazaha received 527 reports, 41 percent of the total communications within its terms of reference,” the source said.
Statistic shows that 168 reports pertained to stalled government projects, 90 for poor implementation of government’s projects government and 87 for poor quality road services. The remaining 182 reports were related to damaged government buildings and poor quality of health, municipal, electricity and sanitation services. There were 288 reports on negligence in the implementation of systems and work procedures, the source said.
Nazaha transferred 428 cases to the concerned investigating authority or department to either investigate and penalize the parties found guilty or address the issues.
The source said that the rest of the 3,206 reports were verified by the organization and were found to be out of its jurisdiction.
The source pointed out that Nazaha would like to express its appreciation to the public cooperation in reporting such cases and appeals to citizens to report such incidents.
It also has emphasized its commitment to responding to whistleblowers and abuses involving corruption that fall within its terms of reference.
This will help fulfill the very vision of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman, while Nazaha grants financial rewards to whistleblowers if their reports are relevant, the source added.


Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

Updated 39 min 6 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

  • The ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage
  • Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has created a new webpage for Qataris who wish to perform the pilgrimage this year.
Qatari Hajj pilgrims can register their details, browse packages and pay for them at: https://qh1440.haj.gov.sa

The ministry called on Qatar not to block the webpage as it did previously and “cooperate in order to allow its citizens to perform Hajj easily.”

Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups.

The embargo includes transport restrictions between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, but the Kingdom has taken measures to ensure pilgrims from Qatar can travel freely for Hajj and Umrah.

The ministry said on Saturday it had taken several steps to ensure pilgrims could enter Saudi Arabia for for Hajj, which starts next month. But the ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage.

Following a recent meeting with a Qatari delegation to discuss the logistics of pilgrims from the country arriving in the Kingdom, the delegation from Doha left without signing any agreements to enable access for it citizens, according to the ministry.

In response to Doha’s actions, the statement said that Qatari pilgrims could complete their applications upon arrival in Saudi Arabia.