KSA signs pact to stamp out illicit tobacco trade

Updated 26 November 2015
0

KSA signs pact to stamp out illicit tobacco trade

RIYADH: The World Health Organization has announced that the Kingdom has become the first Arab country and the tenth internationally to join the protocol to eliminate illicit trade in tobacco products. The announcement was made by the director general of the executive board of the Health Ministers' Council for the Gulf Cooperation Council States, Tawfik Khoja.
Khoja congratulated Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman, along with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Minister of Health Khalid Al-Falih on their momentous achievement. Specifically, he thanked them all for their efforts in making the Kingdom part of the global campaign against illegal tobacco dealings.
“As one of the countries that signed this international pact early, it will contribute to the well-being of humanity as a whole. Such a forward-thinking step is not unusual for the Kingdom and its wise leadership.
We hope, as health care professionals and officials, that this move by the Kingdom will help to decrease the supply and demand of tobacco and will consequently contribute to fighting tobacco-related illnesses that exhaust financial resources and which also put lives in danger,” Khoja said.
“This Kingdom has always been very active and effective in global initiatives related to tobacco control and in implementing the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control Policies (MPOWER),” he pointed out.
The objective of this protocol is to eliminate illicit trade in tobacco products. The protocol has 47 articles and four annexes related to licensing, tracing, tracking and record keeping, as well as sections related to security and internet sales of illicit tobacco products.


Houthi militias deny 40 relief ships access to Hodeidah Port — Saudi-led coalition

Updated 26 April 2018
0

Houthi militias deny 40 relief ships access to Hodeidah Port — Saudi-led coalition

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen's legitimate government on Wednesday accused Houthi rebels of blocking 40 relief ships from entering the port of Hodeidah.

In a press conference in Riyadh, Col. Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition spokesperson, also said that ridding Yemen of the Houthi militia's number two man, Saleh al-Samad, was an important development.

Al-Maliki said that al-Samad was responsible for threatening Saudi Arabia’s peace and and security, disrupting maritime traffic in the Bab Al-Mandab Strait, and the continued suffering of millions of Yemenis. 

The rebels, who are backed by Iran, had launched more than 125 ballistic missiles toward Saudi Arabia’s territories, most of which had been intercepted by the Kingdom's air defense systems, he said. 

Al-Maliki said the Houthis have also launched more than 66,000 projectiles toward the Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia.

He reiterated the coalition's commitment to help Yemenis. He said the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Aid (KSRelief) has delivered food, medicines and clothing to more than 3 million Yemenis since the coalition .