Toll on King Fahd Causeway to rise from Jan. 1

Updated 11 December 2015
0

Toll on King Fahd Causeway to rise from Jan. 1

ALKHOBAR: The toll tax on the King Fahd Causeway will rise from Jan. 1 next year, according to the authority running the bridge.
There would be an increase from SR20 to SR25 for small cars and from SR30 to SR35 for vehicles transporting passengers. There would be no change for trucks, Emad Al-Mohaiseen, spokesman of the causeway, was quoted as saying by an online publication on Wednesday.
Al-Mohaiseen said the authority has been bearing the operational and maintenance costs for the causeway since its inception in 1986, with no increase for small cars and those transporting passengers. It increased the tax on trucks from SR2 to SR5 a ton two years ago, he said.
He said the rebates for people with disabilities and students would remain at 50 percent. Those who use the causeway frequently can get a 15 percent rebate on the new price of SR25, he said.
Meanwhile, the government is installing four fixed Saher cameras on the Saudi side of the causeway to counter speeding on the bridge linking the Kingdom with Bahrain.
The cameras would be set up on the incoming and outgoing lanes, a distance of 12 km, to ensure drivers stick to the 100 km an hour speed limit. The locations of the cameras would be determined by a committee consisting of causeway and traffic officials.
The introduction of the Saher cameras follow conclusive evidence that the presence of these devices have reduced the speed at which motorists drive on the nation’s roads, resulting in the reduction of accidents and deaths.
When a violation is recorded the owner of the vehicle is sent an SMS message immediately. All vehicle owners must update their data to include who drives their vehicles.


Saudi public prosecution announces results of investigation into Khashoggi killing

Updated 15 November 2018
0

Saudi public prosecution announces results of investigation into Khashoggi killing

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor said on Thursday he was seeking the death penalty for five out of 11 suspects charged in the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Khashoggi was killed in the country’s Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2 after a struggle by a lethal injection dose and his body was dismembered and taken out of the building, he told reporters in Riyadh.

The Prosecutor said Khashoggi’s body parts were then handed over to a local Turkish agent outside the consulate grounds, the spokesman said, adding that the drawing of the agent has been prepared and will be handed over to the Turkish authorities.

He said that the head of Khashoggi’s repatriation team was the one who ordered the killing of the victim, adding that the investigations into the whereabouts of the victim’s body are still ongoing.

He noted that the mission of the team was to persuade Khashoggi to return to the kingdom.

The prosecutor said a former adviser had been due to meet the team that was ordered to repatriate journalist Khashoggi, who was killed after efforts to negotiate his return failed.

He added that the ex-advisor had been banned from travelling and remained under investigation, and that the case has been transferred to court while investigations continue.

The prosecutor said Saudi Arabia has requested Turkey to sign a cooperation deal on a probe into the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

“We have requested the brotherly Turkish authorities to sign a special cooperation mechanism specific to this case in order to provide them with the results of the investigation,” he said, adding that “the public prosecutor is still awaiting a response to these requests.”