Lankan jumps to his death from hospital building

Updated 21 December 2015
0

Lankan jumps to his death from hospital building

QATIF: A 30-year-old Sri Lankan reportedly jumped to his death from the terrace of Qatif Central Hospital in the Eastern Province on Saturday.
The police are investigating the case and the reason for the expatriate taking his own life were yet to be ascertained, local media reported on Sunday.
“The police department in central Qatif received a report from the hospital about an Asian worker who committed suicide by jumping from the terrace of the hospital building,” police spokesman Col. Ziad Al-Ruqaiti was quoted as saying.
“Police and experts have launched an investigation into the incident. The body was being held in preparation for transferring the case to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution,” he added.
Saudi Arabia is home to some 550,000 of the total 1.5 million Sri Lankan’s currently working in the Middle East.
The Sri Lankan government had earlier this year announced a pension scheme for its overseas workers, if the workers complete two years of foreign employment.
A top official at the Ministry of Foreign Employment had said the new government has drawn up a package of proposed facilities and services to Sri Lankan overseas workers, including the pension scheme in recognition of their contributions to the country’s national development.


Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

Updated 24 June 2018
0

Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far

RIYADH: The Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior has established six driving schools for women in different regions of Saudi Arabia, according to an interior ministry spokesperson.

Mansour Al-Turki said on Sunday that the ministry has received more than 120,000 applications for driving licenses so far and demand is still very high.

Saudi women celebrated taking the wheel for the first time in decades on Sunday as the Kingdom overturned the world’s only ban on female motorists, a historic reform expected to usher in a new era of social mobility.

At a press conference to mark the occasion, Al-Turki said there are 9 districts where female driving schools have not yet been established and there is evidence to suggest women in these areas want to learn.

The interior ministry spokesperson urged motorists not to violate regulations and infringe on the rights and freedoms of others.

Meanwhile, Director General of the Saudi Traffic Directorate, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami said the directorate has developed a device to identify and verify driving licenses through a fingerprinting system.

He acknowledged there is great awareness among women in dealing with traffic rules and regulations, adding there are no traffic exemptions for women, only for people with special needs.

The move is part of Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s plan to modernize and reform Saudi Arabia.