Anti-Houthi Yemen coalition forms team to assess rules of engagement

Updated 01 February 2016
0

Anti-Houthi Yemen coalition forms team to assess rules of engagement

RIYADH: The Saudi-led Arab coalition battling Shiite rebels in Yemen announced Sunday the creation of an independent commission of inquiry to examine charges of possible abuses against civilians in the conflict.
In a brief statement published by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA), the coalition said it formed “an independent team of experts in international humanitarian law and weapons to assess the incidents and investigate the rules of engagement.”
The coalition said the objective was to “develop a clear and comprehensive report on each incident with the conclusions, lessons learned, recommendations and measures that should be taken” to spare civilians.
A panel of United Nations experts in a report obtained by AFP on Tuesday said the coalition has carried out 119 sorties that violated humanitarian law, and it called for an international commission of inquiry.
The coalition command said it regrets civilian deaths in the country, but asserted that these were "unintended," and was investigating the matter and improving its targeting mechanisms.
Yemen descended into chaos when Iran-backed Houthi militias and loyalists of former Yemen president Ali Abdullah Saleh fought the UN-recognized government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, prompting neighboring Gulf and other Arab countries to intervene.
More than 5,800 people have since been killed and 27,000 wounded, according to UN figures.
About 60 percent of all civilian deaths and injuries were caused by air-launched explosives, the report said.


Sudan’s transitional council vows to back Saudi Arabia against Iran threat

Updated 36 min 28 sec ago
0

Sudan’s transitional council vows to back Saudi Arabia against Iran threat

  • Himeidti said the military council would continue deploying Sudanese troops to Yemen as part of the Arab coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthis
  • It was Dagalo's first international trip since Sudan’s army generals took power after they backed protesters in ousting longtime-leader Omar Al-Bashir last month

KHARTOUM: A top Sudanese general has vowed to back Saudi Arabia against “all threats and attacks” from Iran, Sudan's ruling military council said Friday.
General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, the deputy chief of Sudan’s new Transitional Military Council, made the comments during a meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Jeddah.
“Sudan is standing with the Kingdom against all threats and attacks from Iran and Houthi militias,” Dagalo, widely known as Himeidti, told the crown prince during their meeting, the council said in a statement.
Himeidti also said the military council would continue deploying Sudanese troops to Yemen as part of the Arab coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthis.
It was Dagalo's first international trip since Sudan’s army generals took power after they backed protesters in ousting longtime-leader Omar Al-Bashir last month.
The statement, the council's first major foreign policy announcement, amounted to a continuation of the deposed leader's policy.