Prince Sattam’s passing leaves void in Kingdom

Updated 26 February 2013

Prince Sattam’s passing leaves void in Kingdom

Riyadh Gov. Prince Sattam, 72, passed away yesterday, the Royal Court announced.
Funeral prayers for the late prince will be performed after Asr at the Imam Turki bin Abdullah Mosque here today.
The late Prince Sattam was appointed Deputy Governor of Riyadh in 1978. Subsequently, Prince Sattam succeeded
his brother, the then-Governor Prince Salman, who became the minister of defense, on Nov. 5, 2011.
Prince Sattam’s body will be buried at Al-Adel Graveyard in Makkah in response to his last wish, an official statement said.
Crown Prince Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, will receive condolences on the death of Prince Sattam at his palace in Arqa between Maghreb and Isha on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Prince Sattam was one of the senior members of the royal family and 30th son of King Abdul Aziz, the Kingdom’s founder.
He began his early education at Prince’s School in Riyadh. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of San Diego in 1965. Later, the same university given him a honorary doctorate degree in May 1975.
The prince had been in the forefront of many developmental and humanitarian activities. Some positions included chairman of insolvent prisoners release committee; deputy chairman of the executive committee of Saudization; deputy chairman of the Riyadh Development Authority; deputy chairman of the board of directors of Al-Birr charitable society in Riyadh; deputy chairman of Prince Salman Charitable Housing Program; and deputy chairman of Ibn Baz charity to help youth to get married.
He was the deputy chairman of the Charitable Society for the Care of Orphans; chairman of the local committee for gathering donations for Kosovo and Chechnya Muslims; deputy chairman of the civil defense committee; honorary deputy chairman of the patients’ friends committee in the Riyadh region; deputy chairman of the Charitable Society for the Care of Renal Failure Patients.
During his tenure, Prince Sattam attended several functions organized by government agencies. He was also popular among the government and diplomatic circles. He attended National Day celebrations of the various countries as chief guest.
A large crowd from the members of the royal family, government officials, members of the diplomatic corps and others are expected to attend the funeral today.


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 33 min 25 sec ago

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.