Two-day weekly off ‘not practical for private sector’

Updated 05 October 2012
0

Two-day weekly off ‘not practical for private sector’

JEDDAH: A plan to introduce a five-day week for private sector employees is being opposed by some senior officials in the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), according to a report.
The JCCI officials claim that production costs could increase if private sector employees are also granted two-day weekend holidays (Thursday and Friday) like government staff, Al-Eqtisadiah reported.
A Labor Ministry official told the newspaper that a crucial meeting would be held next month to determine daily working hours and weekly holidays for private sector employees.
He said the representatives from the concerned government departments, companies and the Ministry of Labor would take part in the talks.
“A two-day weekly off for employees in private enterprises will only lead to higher production costs, especially for the industrial sector, at a time when we are seeking to lower costs to remain competitive,” said Mazen Batterjee, deputy chairman of the JCCI.
He said private sector employees who work on Thursdays would have to be paid overtime under the two-day off plan. This will jack up production costs and raise consumer prices, he said.
Batterjee also warned that the reduction of daily working hours and a two-day weekly holidays would raise the cost of manpower by at least 15 percent. This would be adversely reflected on private sector output.
“Private firms, especially the industrial and the service sectors, will pay a heavy price if the proposal is implemented,” he said.
Abdul Aziz Al-Suraie, chairman of the industrial committee in the JCCI, also rejected the idea. The proposal will increase production costs and will in turn raise consumer prices, he warned.
A number of economists, however, indicated that the five-day week would increase staff performance.
They say that the performance of workers who take a two-day break is 30 percent higher than those who toil for six days in a week.


Hodeidah offensive: Coalition forces seize weapons supplied by Iran to Houthis

Updated 20 June 2018
0

Hodeidah offensive: Coalition forces seize weapons supplied by Iran to Houthis

  • The arsenal included drones, a sniper rifle, roadside bombs disguised as rocks and even a “drone boat” which had been filled with explosives that failed to detonate.
  • Equipment used to produce and load fuel for rockets that target Saudi Arabia contained Iranian labels.

JEDDAH: Saudi-led coalition officials on Tuesday displayed weapons and explosives supplied by Iran to Houthi militias in the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah. 

The arsenal included drones, a sniper rifle, roadside bombs disguised as rocks and even a “drone boat” which had been filled with explosives that failed to detonate.

Equipment used to produce and load fuel for rockets that target Saudi Arabia contained Iranian labels. The weapons were captured on the battlefield in Hodeidah and displayed at a military base in the UAE. 

“Unsurprisingly, there are advanced military components in the Houthi militias’ hands,” said Talal Al-Teneiji, an official at the UAE Foreign Ministry.

“We took time to inspect and disassemble these to figure out the source ... and we can say that these elements are military-grade materials imported from Iran to the Houthi militias.”

As the week-long offensive in Hodeidah intensified on Tuesday, coalition forces consolidated their grip on the city’s airport and there was new fighting on the main coast road leading to the city center, with Apache helicopters providing air support to the coalition. 

“We can hear the sounds of artillery, mortars and sporadic machinegun fire. The Houthis have been using tanks,” one civilian on the coastal strip said. 

“Water has been cut off to many of the areas near the corniche area because the Houthis have dug trenches and closed water pipes.”

At the airport, which the coalition has controlled since Saturday, their forces stormed the main compound and took full command.

UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said: “We are waiting for the Houthis to realize the sort of military and psychological blow that they got with the airport ... we are giving them time to decide if they want to save the city ... and pull out.”

Oubai Shahbandar, a strategic communications adviser, told Arab News that “without the sea and airport of Hodeidah, the Houthi militia has effectively lost the war.”

They should agree to UN-hosted peace talks and not prolong the fighting. “The tide in this conflict has clearly turned in favor of the Arab coalition and the welfare of the Yemeni people ought to be paramount,” he said.