Scotland stalwart Blair retires from internationals



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Tuesday 8 January 2013

Last update 7 January 2013 10:40 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

EDINBURGH: Scotland’s most-capped scrum-half Mike Blair has announced he has retired from international rugby at the age of 31.
Blair was capped 85 times for his country and was captain of the side on 14 occasions.
His decision came six weeks after the resignation of Scotland coach Andy Robinson, who quit after the defeat by Tonga in Aberdeen.
Australian coach Scott Johnson has been put in charge of Scotland for the upcoming Six Nations tournament.
In a statement released Monday by the Scottish Rugby Union, Blair said: “I’m in the very fortunate position of being able to decide myself when my international career ends. For me, that time is now.”
Blair explained that his decision was partly based on his family circumstances and also to give the Scotland team the chance to plan ahead for the next World Cup in England in 2015.
The former British and Irish Lions player, who left Edinburgh for French side Brive in pre-season, said: “There’s no doubt that moving our family to France has played a part in my decision.
“Our son Rory is now at school here and we have an 11-week-old daughter, Lucy, who was born in Brive.
“However, it’s a combination of reasons that’s led to my standing down from international rugby, not just one factor.
“For me a place in the squad at the Rugby World Cup in 2015 is not a realistic personal target and, with that in mind, it’s right for Scottish rugby and the Scotland team, that other players gain experience in a pivotal position.”
Blair was a regular starter for Scotland last year and captained the team for the final time in June in the victory over Samoa.
He added: “The fact that I still feel attuned to playing at international level has made the decision harder but it’s not been reached lightly and I’m very confident that it’s the right decision.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Jeddah police have closed all entry points into Makkah to prevent undocumented pilgrims from entering the holy city during this year’s Haj, in a bid to prevent overcrowding that could lead to health and safety problems.Officials have taken ac...
JEDDAH: The Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution recently charged three young men in the harassment case at the Jeddah corniche. A number of young men were arrested for harassing two Saudi girls at the corniche a day after Eid Al-Fitr.A vi...
JEDDAH: A total of 232 people injured in Sunday’s Aramco compound fire in Alkhobar have been discharged from hospitals here, the Eastern Province Health Department announced on Tuesday.Fifty-seven are still receiving treatment at four hospitals, with...
RIYADH: The Directorate of Education in Riyadh is keeping a close watch on schools, such as sanctioning health material and monitoring the health of staff and students, to prevent the spread of the MERS coronavirus among students. As a step in this...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs has announced new legislation for the Dec. 12 elections, including fines and imprisonment for failure to disclose candidate financing, obstructing procedures or officials, and fraudulent activity.Vi...
JEDDAH: The low turnout of Saudis registering for the municipal elections is likely caused by the poor performance of previous councils, lack of a voting culture, inadequate understanding of the duties of councils, and the timing of the elections wit...

Stay Connected

Facebook