Scott, Poulter lurk at Australian Masters



AGENCIES

Published — Friday 16 November 2012

Last update 16 November 2012 3:15 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MELBOURNE: Defending champion Ian Poulter and Adam Scott fired an ominous warning to their rivals yesterday, carding 67s to lurk just two shots off the lead after the first round of the Australian Masters.
Little-known Australian Matthew Guyatt was the surprise early leader, hitting a seven-under-par 65 in benign conditions at Kingston Heath in Melbourne.
Fellow Australian Scott and England’s Poulter, tied for second with New Zealand’s Michael Hendry, were disappointed they did not take full advantage of the easy conditions despite their solid showings.
“I don’t think I’ve ever seen afternoon conditions like we had out there today,” said Ryder Cup hero Poulter, who won the WGC-HSBC Champions in China earlier this month.
“You had to take advantage of it.... Five-under is acceptable but if you play well on this golf course in conditions like we had today you’ll have many birdie opportunities.” Poulter’s only blemish came at the 16th hole where he said he “made a pig’s ear of it” before making an up-and-down for bogey from 60 yards.
The Englishman said he would like to see blustery conditions for the rest of the tournament, adding: “This is a very tricky golf course when the wind blows and I play well in the wind.” World number five Scott, chasing his first tournament win of the year, felt he could have shot nine or 10 under but for a frustrating number of birdie putts lipping out on his front nine.
But the Australian made amends on the back nine, coming home in five-under 31.
“Kingston Heath’s defenses were down today and I felt there was a really low score out there for me today,” he said. “I didn’t get rewarded for my play on the front nine,” he said.
“It’s a good start but you need four good days to win,” said Scott, whose year will be defined by his meltdown in this year’s British Open, where he blew a four-shot lead with four holes to play at Royal Lytham.
Northern Ireland’s Graeme McDowell shot 71 and said playing partner Scott made the course look extremely easy.
“I didn’t adapt very well to the conditions, but all in all, I struck the ball well although the putter could be heated up a little bit more. But it was a decent start,” McDowell said.
Guyatt, who spent three years out of the game in the early 2000s, said his game had benefited from the input of sports psychologist Karl Morris, who works with a number of the game’s leading players, including McDowell.
“Karl has turned me around as far as pre-shot routine and staying in the moment,” he said.
A group of six Australian players were tied for fifth, including Peter O’Malley, a three-time winner on the European Tour.
McIlroy makes poor start
In Fanling, Hong Kong, tiredness caught up with Rory McIlroy yesterday and the world golf No.1 could shoot only a three-over-par 73 on the opening day of the Hong Kong Open.
McIlroy, who this week became only the second player to win the money-list titles in both Europe and the United States, admitted that he was exhausted after a year in which he has won four titles, including the US PGA championship, and helped Europe to win the Ryder Cup.
“I was struggling a little bit with my energy levels; I felt lethargic,” the Northern Irishman said after a round in which he produced one birdie.
“I think after clinching the Race to Dubai it was always going to be a little bit of a letdown. I tried hard to lift myself after what happened but that gets harder when you are feeling a bit tired.” McIlroy was not helped by playing late in the day when the Fanling course was affected by a tricky wind swirling through the trees.
Javier Colomo, who plays on the Asian Tour, took the lead with a six-under-par 64.
His fellow Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez, who was a member of the European Tour before the 23-year-old McIlroy was born, shot a 65. Should he win his third Hong Kong Open on Sunday at the age of 48 years and 318 days he would become the oldest winner on the European Tour.
The record is held by Irishman Des Smyth who was 48 years and 34 days old when he won the 2001 Madeira Island Open.
Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal moved into a share of fourth place with a 66.
Colomo started out by plying his trade on the European Challenge Tour but lost his playing rights so went to the Asian Tour School last year.
The 28-year-old has had three top-10 finishes this year and has earned promotion into bigger tournaments in 2013.
“Now I am 33rd in the Asian rankings and that’s perfect because next year I will be playing in all the tournaments co-sanctioned with the European Tour,” he said.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
RIYADH: Riyadh and Phnom Penh have signed a labor deal to recruit domestics and general workers from Cambodia.Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani and his Cambodian counterpart Ait Samana signed the agreement.Al-Haqabani said the Kingdom is keen on open...
Jeddah: The Criminal Court in Jeddah has sentenced a man to nine months in jail for beating his wife and insulting her by calling her “stubborn and ignorant.” The man has also been required to make a written pledge not to go near his wife, while the...
MUNICH: Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister defended his country’s treatment of women on Friday, saying it had made progress on female education but would take time to let them drive cars.“When it comes to issues like women’s driving, this is not a relig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...

Stay Connected

Facebook