Sky Austria loses case over charging for sports clips



Reuters

Published — Tuesday 22 January 2013

Last update 22 January 2013 8:34 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: Sky Austria, part of the News Corp. media empire, has been told that it cannot charge a rival broadcaster for access to clips from soccer matches used in news reports.
The case was being watched across the European Union as it has implications for broadcasters who have paid heavily to buy up sports screening rights.
Under a European Union directive a channel with exclusive rights to show sports events must allow rival broadcasters access to the signal to select extracts of up to 90 seconds for news bulletins. Any access must be provided at cost price, zero in this case.
“The limitation of costs for broadcasting short news events of high interest to the public, such as football matches, is valid,” the EU’s Court of Justice said in a press release on Tuesday.
The case centered on Sky’s rights to show Europa League soccer matches in Austria and whether public broadcaster ORF should be able to use clips from them in news bulletins.
Sky Austria said it was not surprised at the decision, which was in line with guidance last year from an adviser to Europe’s highest court.
“In the name of all owners of exclusive rights, Sky has tried to reach clarification on whether the provision of exclusive content free of charge constitutes a disproportionate intervention in the basic right of ownership,” it said in a statement.
“The confirmation of the verdict will not change the cooperation with other TV stations which has been practiced since 2010,” it added.
Sky Austria is part of Sky Deutschland, whose largest shareholder is News Corp.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

Arab News Editor in Chief Mohammed Fahad Al-Harthi hosted a banquet for editors in chief of local print and online publications, Shoura Council members, representative of the Ministry of Culture and Information, prominent writers and columnists in Je...
JEDDAH: Health workers from Riyadh’s National Guard hospital would not be allowed to perform Haj this year, or work at the holy sites, the Ministry of Health has announced.Hail Al-Abdali, head of the ministry’s infection control unit, was reportedly...
JEDDAH: The Minister of Municipal and Rural Affairs Abdul Lateef Al-Asheikh has introduced new legislative amendments to allow voters to produce a range of identity documents so that they can register for the upcoming elections.Al-Asheikh amended Art...
RIYADH: Construction on the multibillion-riyal Riyadh Metro is well under way with several giant drilling machines working overtime to ensure that underground tunnels for the project are completed on schedule.The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA)...
JEDDAH: Officials from the Saudi Ministry of Haj have been holding meetings with their counterparts from Arab and South Asian nations in preparation for this year’s pilgrimage.Abdulrahman bin Ali Al-Nafei, assistant deputy minister of Haj and in char...
RIYADH: Four polling stations in Tabuk have stopped registering voters for the Dec. 12 municipal elections in the region.Ibrahim bin Ahmed Al-Ghabban, undersecretary at the Tabuk municipality and member of the local committee for the election of a mu...
JEDDAH: Many prospective candidates running for seats on the country’s municipal councils have been using Twitter to boost their election campaigns.Many have been using religious expressions in their messages, such as “In the name of God,” and “If He...
DAMMAM: There has been a flurry of activity on the Kingdom’s highways as service companies race to meet the Jan. 19 deadline for the revamp of dilapidated gas stations.The Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs has previously handed out rehabilitati...
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia and Germany have signed an agreement on mutual protection of classified information to provide a legal framework for enhanced cooperation in the defense sector. The pact was signed by Mohammed bin Abdullah Al-Aish, assistant mini...
JEDDAH: While Saudi Arabia has now arrested the main suspect in the 1996 bombing of the Alkhobar Towers residence at an American military base in the country, the hunt continues for three others, according to reports in the local media on Thursday.Ah...

Stay Connected

Facebook