Slain Philippine cops linked to gambling war



AGENCIES

Published — Wednesday 9 January 2013

Last update 9 January 2013 12:00 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MANILA: Five people killed in a battle with Philippine security forces were policemen and soldiers, authorities said yesterday as they looked into claims the violence was part of an illegal gambling turf war. The official police report following the shootings in a town about 170 kilometers (105 miles) south of Manila on Sunday said security forces tried to stop armed members of a criminal gang at a road block, setting off a battle.
Thirteen “gang members” were killed, according to the initial account.
However national police chief spokesman Generoso Cerbo said yesterday that Senior Superintendent Alfredo Consemino, a top policemen in a town near where the shootings occurred, and two of his aides were among those killed. Armed forces spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Burgos also confirmed two of the others shot dead were an air force lieutenant and a sergeant.
Another of the 13 killed was Victorino Atienza, who operated a highly lucrative illegal gambling operation called “jueteng”.
Separately, a US official said the unarmed drone found in central Philippine waters was launched from a US Navy ship during a combat exercise off Guam last year. He said the drone may have been washed by ocean currents to the country. US Embassy spokeswoman Bettina Malone said the BQM-74E drone was launched from a guided-missile destroyer, as a mock missile target during naval combat exercises off Guam’s coast in September.
The Philippine navy deployed a ship with ordnance experts after a diver and fishermen who found the drone over the weekend reported it may have been a bomb. The discovery sparked concerns because US troops are allowed to engage in exercises with local troops but are legally barred from engaging in combat operations in the country.
A joint commission overlooking annual combat exercises by US and Philippine troops as well as American ship visits has been asked to look into the drone’s discovery. Sen. Loren Legarda, who heads the Philippine Senate committee on foreign relations, asked the commission to check if any of the rules governing visits by American forces in the country had been breached. The drone’s discovery in Philippine waters “raises a serious concern of national security,” Legarda said.
Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said the Manila has been assured by the US Embassy “that the reported aerial vehicle is by design and purpose solely used for target practice and not armed or used for surveillance.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JOUF: A citizen in Jouf has become at 94 the oldest person to register for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections.The man, who was not named, arrived at the Zaloum election center accompanied by his 62-year-old son, an online publication reported on...
JEDDAH: The spike in cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus is worrying because of the upcoming annual pilgrimage, according to a top doctor.Hanan Balkhi, head of the Health Ministry’s national scientific committee of infect...
RIYADH: Senior Indian police and intelligence officials interrogated two Saudis after they were detained following their suspicious movement in Trichy, a southern city in India’s Tamil Nadu state. Officials detained the duo — Rasheed and Abdul Rahma...
MADINAH: Defective air conditioning units at Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz International Airport (PMIA) have left passengers sweltering amid the excessive afternoon heat. The travelers had to resort to using pieces of paper as fans to cool themselves...
RIYADH: The participation of Saudi women in the upcoming municipal council elections is set to ensure they take their rightful place in boosting social and economic development in the country.Many women have already begun registering as voters, and w...
JEDDAH: Only 7,034 Saudis have so far registered in Riyadh and the Eastern Province for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections, a local publication reported Wednesday.The elections, held for the third time in the Kingdom, are expected to attract a r...
JEDDAH: A total of 66,000 Nigerians will perform Haj this year, according to the National Haj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).The first group of 300 pilgrims arrived Sunday, sources at the Nigerian embassy said. “The first flight that took off from th...
RIYADH: The Passports Department has announced that there will be heavy fines for people transporting Haj pilgrims without licenses.There would be fines of up to SR100,000, a two-year-prison sentence and deportation for anyone found harboring or prov...
RIYADH: The Public Education Evaluation Commission (PEEC) head said on Wednesday that private schools will undergo performance evaluation in the next two to three weeks by local specialists who have just finished their training under the organization...
JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia has announced that the country’s citizens are safe in Lebanon, but has joined Kuwait and Bahrain in issuing advisories warning its citizens not to travel there.Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Asiri said Tuesday that the embassy h...
RIYADH: Assistant Director General for Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at the Ministry of Health (MoH) Mansour Al-Suaidan has been selected by the Kent, Leonard, Adam and Scott (KLAS) as the only Arab advisory board member.“Mansour Al...
JEDDAH: The local Pakistani Journalists Forum (PJF), in cooperation with the Consulate General of Pakistan, celebrated the country’s 69th Independence Day, where children thrilled the audience with patriotic songs.Pakistan Consul General Aftab A. Kho...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Criminal Court in Riyadh has sentenced an Algerian expatriate to 18 months in jail for overstaying his Umrah visa. The court also found evidence that he tried cross the Saudi border to fight in Syria, a local publication repor...
JEDDAH: An official at the Ministry of Labor confirmed that ministry will launch an e-recruitment service via the Musaned website next week. The service will allow employers to apply for visas without the need to visit labor offices.Ahmad Al-Ghamdi,...
RIYADH: A new Saudi program on television called “Security of the Kingdom” will go on air on Tabah Channel starting on the first week of September, according to Dr. Mohsin Shaikh Al-Hassan, the program’s host.“The program is important and timely beca...

Stay Connected

Facebook