South Africa leaves Australia with record chase
South Africa leaves Australia with record chase
Set 632 to win after the Proteas were finally dismissed for 569 in their second innings on the back of Hashim Amla and AB de Villiers centuries, Australia were 40 without loss at stumps on the third day yesterday.
The Australians still need a further 592 runs to win with two days to play.
David Warner will resume on Monday’s fourth day on 29 with Ed Cowan not out nine.
It was only the second time in Test history Australia had been set over 600 runs to win. The previous occasion was Don Bradman’s first Test against England in 1928, when they folded for 66 all out chasing 742 runs.
The current record for a successful fourth innings run chase remains 418 by the West Indies against Australia at St. John’s in 2003.
However, de Villiers said the South Africans were not taking victory for granted, having themselves chased down 414 for the loss of just four wickets at the same venue in 2008.
“We are aware that if they we go the full length of the Test match they will come quite close,” he said.
“They won’t be giving it away, we are aware of that and we are not arrogant in any way whatsoever.
“We have a lot of hard work ahead of us tomorrow.” Australian coach Mickey Arthur, who was at the helm of the South African team in that 2008 run chase, said the home team believed they could create history.
“We bat for two days we win,” he said.
“All we can do now is bat session for session and we have got to believe we can do it or there is no point rocking up tomorrow.
“The wicket is good and it gets better here, it is not going to crack up and there is no uneven bounce.
“A couple of big partnerships and you never know what might happen.” Tall fast bowler Morne Morkel threw a major scare in the South African camp when he appeared to roll his left ankle in his delivery stride late in the day.
Morkel was on the pitch for several minutes, but just when it seemed the Proteas may be down to two fast bowlers, Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander, the big man picked himself up and finished his over without apparent discomfort.
Amla led the way for the Proteas with the bat and looked certain to notch a third Test double century, but on 196 he fell to a superb reflex caught-and-bowled from Mitchell Johnson (4-110).
The right-hander had a lucky escape on 108 when Mike Hussey dropped a tough chance in gully off Johnson, but he was in total command for most of his innings, his dismissal ending a 149-run partnership with de Villiers for the fourth wicket.
It was Amla’s 18th Test century and he faced 221 balls, hitting 21 boundaries.
After resuming at 99 not out on the third day, Amla took just three balls to reach triple figures, having faced a mere 87 balls.
At one stage, retiring Australian batsman Ricky Ponting was even given a bowl as Amla and de Villiers took the game away from the Australians.
De Villiers reached his 14th Test century in memorable fashion just before tea, audaciously reverse-sweeping spinner Nathan Lyon for three successive boundaries to reach the milestone.
He eventually fell for 169 as he appeared to tire, caught behind from the bowling of Mitchell Starc, having faced 184 balls, hitting 21 fours and three sixes.
South African Dean Elgar completed a nightmare Test debut, being trapped lbw by Johnson for a four-ball duck to complete a pair for the match.
Left-armer Starc cleaned up the South African tail to claim his first five-wicket haul in Test cricket and finish with six for 154 from 28.5 overs.
Morata misses out on Spain World Cup squad
MADRID: Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata was left out of Spain’s World Cup squad, announced on Monday.
Morata paid the price for a disappointing debut season in the Premier League as Spain coach Julen Lopetegui picked Iago Aspas and Rodrigo Moreno up front, along with Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa.
“The decision is always difficult because of the talent of the players we have,” Lopetegui said.
“We have opted for three other players who had different assets and including four players up front was not something we wanted to do.”
Two more Chelsea players also missed out as Marcos Alonso and Cesc Fabregas were not included in the 23-man group.
Morata’s absence was the stand-out decision, however, even if it was not an entirely surprising one given the 25-year-old’s dramatic dip in form.
After scoring seven goals in his first seven games for Chelsea, a back injury seemed to affect his confidence. Morata has scored only three times in 22 games since the turn of the year.
“I’ve talked to the players I had to talk to,” Lopetegui said. “I’m not going to name anybody, but there are players who had to find out from me that they were not going to be on the list.”
In contrast, Aspas and Moreno have been in excellent form for Celta Vigo and Valencia respectively, with Aspas the top Spanish scorer in La Liga on 22 goals.
Costa is expected to start when Spain open up against Portugal in Group B on June 15 but Aspas, with his speed and direct running, remains an attractive option.
Alonso only made his debut in a friendly against Argentina in March and lost out to Arsenal’s Nacho Monreal. Fabregas fell behind Spain’s impressive wealth of options in midfield, which will include Sergio Busquets, Saul Niguez, Koke, Thiago Alcantara, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, Isco, Marco Asensio and Lucas Vazquez.
Manchester United’s David de Gea was included as expected, along with fellow goalkeepers Pepe Reina and Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta did make it in, as did Monreal. Dani Carvajal, Alvaro Odriozola, Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Nacho and Jordi Alba complete Spain’s group of defenders.
“I’ve had several doubts, making a list of 23 is very difficult,” Lopetegui said. “But we have decided this was the most balanced decision and the one we think will help us most at the World Cup.”