Goalkeeper sentenced to 22 years for murder



REUTERS

Published — Saturday 9 March 2013

Last update 9 March 2013 3:30 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

RIO DE JANEIRO: Former goalkeeper Bruno, once tipped for a place in Brazil’s World Cup soccer squad, has been sentenced to 22 years and three months in prison for the murder of his ex-girlfriend.
Reports have said her body was fed to dogs.
The jury’s verdict on the death of victim Eliza Samudio was read out by Judge Marixa Fabiane Lopes Rodrigues at Brazil’s Contagem Court of Justice in the early hours yesteday.
“The conduct of the crime of murder has sordid details and demonstration of absolute ruthlessness,” the judge said in her verdict.
“The defendant Bruno Fernandes believed that by having the body consumed, impunity would be granted.” The 28-year-old Bruno, who played for Brazilian first division sides Atletico Mineiro and Flamengo, has been in custody since July 2010. His contract with Flamengo was suspended when the murder came to light.
As well as hiding the body, he was also found guilty of kidnapping the son he had with Eliza but his former wife Dayanne Rodrigues was absolved from the charge as it was considered she was put under pressure.

Prosecutor Henry Vasconcelos said the murder in June 2010 was carried out by another man known as ‘Bola’ with help from Bruno’s close friend Macarrao, who was sentenced to 15 years.
Bola’s trial is set for April 22.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A total of 172,000 pilgrims have arrived via 861 flights from around the world at King Abdulaziz International Airport so far, said Turki Al-Theeb, the airport’s director of media and public relations.He said the number of Haj flights are exp...
RIYADH: Saudis from all walks of life are hopeful that the visit of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman to the United States this week will strengthen relations between the two countries and ensure a peaceful and stable Middle East.Shoura C...
JEDDAH: Security forces killed a terrorist who tried to attack a security facility in Abqaiq on Friday, the Interior Ministry said.Sgt. Ali Al-Habeeb, 47, was killed during the confrontation with the attacker, identified as Nawaf Manahi Shabib Al-Ota...
ANKARA: Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has said that unemployment among Saudis is relatively high, pointing to the negative impact of retreating oil prices on the economy and labor market. He confirmed that the Kingdom was continuing with the impl...
JEDDAH: The country’s newly elected municipal councils should have a say in selecting mayors and secretaries general of cities, participants at a Municipal Councils Forum suggested on Thursday.They proposed that the councils should compile a list of...
DAMMAM: Many Saudis have complained that while the Kingdom has attractive local tourist spots, several charge high prices, offer poor services and lack proper hygiene.They said that Taif, Abha, Baha, Jeddah and the Eastern Province have popular resor...

Stay Connected

Facebook