Top match-fixing suspect ‘assisting’ investigation

Updated 22 February 2013
0

Top match-fixing suspect ‘assisting’ investigation

SINGAPORE: Singaporean police said the suspected boss of a major football match-fixing ring was “assisting” investigations yesterday after the head of Interpol urged his arrest and an alleged associate was held in Italy.
Tan Seet Eng, also known as Dan Tan, who has been named in several probes and is wanted in Italy, but denies wrongdoing, is “currently assisting Singapore authorities in their investigations,” a police statement said.
It is the first time police have indicated Tan has undergone questioning. Singapore has come under growing pressure to act after Europol linked hundreds of suspicious games worldwide to a criminal syndicate in the city-state.
Police also confirmed they gave the tip-off that led to the arrest of Admir Sulic, an alleged associate of Tan, as he arrived at Milan’s Malpensa airport from Singapore earlier on Thursday.
“The Singapore authorities have been offering assistance and sharing available information with affected countries and will continue to do so,” the statement said.
“Dan Tan Seet Eng, a Singaporean who has been named in reports so far, is currently assisting Singapore authorities in their investigations.” It added: “In response to media queries, the Singapore Police Force confirms that it had informed the National Crime Bureau (NCB) Rome of the travel plans of a person wanted by the Italian authorities for investigations into match-fixing.” .”.. The person has since been arrested by the Italian authorities and NCB Rome has thanked the police for its support in this matter.” The apparent crackdown comes just hours after Interpol secretary-general Ronald Noble, speaking at a match-fixing conference in neighboring Malaysia, bluntly told Singapore to arrest Tan.
Tan is wanted in Italy over the wide-ranging “calcioscommesse” scandal and emerged as a key suspect two weeks ago when Europol said fixers had targeted 380 games in Europe and 300 more around the world.
“The fact that there can be an alleged organized crime head operating in a country known to be safe, secure like Singapore, distresses Singaporeans and distresses the world,” Noble said on Thursday.
He also revealed that Singapore police had given a tip-off that a match-fixing suspect was en route from Singapore to Milan.

Interpol later said Slovenian Admir Sulic, 31, a suspected member of the so-called “zingari” (gypsies) syndicate allegedly headed by Tan, was arrested after touching down in the northern Italian city.
An international arrest warrant was issued for Sulic in December 2011 in connection with the “calcioscommesse” (football betting) scandal in Italy which implicated dozens of players, coaches and officials.
Interpol said Sulic was suspected of “fraud and qualified sporting fraud committed within criminal association,” and was wanted for questioning in relation to alleged match-rigging by Tan’s organization linked to suspect results in some 60 countries.
Tan’s name has cropped up in multiple investigations but he has so far remained at large in Singapore, where police last week said they needed hard evidence before arresting anyone.
Europol’s report has put a renewed focus on match-fixing, which has long been documented in Asia and now appears to be increasing throughout the world, fueled by the advent of lucrative online gambling.
Only this week, China handed out bans, fines and points deductions at the end of a major investigation into match-fixing and corruption, and claims emerged in Thailand that criminals tried to rig the country’s FA Cup final last year.


Saudi Arabian football clubs helped with debts by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

Updated 22 May 2018
0

Saudi Arabian football clubs helped with debts by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

  • Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will cover all external debts owed by Saudi Professional League clubs
  • Crown Prince will provide 1,277,000,000 Saudi riyals (around $340 million)

RIYADH: The General Sports Authority and Saudi Arabia Football Federation (SAFF) have announced that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will cover all external debts owed by Saudi Professional League clubs.
According to reports, the Crown Prince will provide 1,277,000,000 Saudi riyals (around $340 million) that will not only clear monies owed but also enable clubs to invest ahead of the 2018-19 season.
The issue of debt had become a major issue in the country’s football scene.
“Some Saudi Arabian clubs are currently experiencing financial problems that require immediate and urgent intervention,” the General Sports Authority, which oversees Saudi Arabian sport, said in a statement released on social media.
The body noted that there are a total of 107 cases under appeal at world governing body FIFA regarding unpaid salaries in Saudi Arabia.
“Failure to intervene urgently to rescue clubs may result in damage to the reputation of the Kingdom in general and Saudi Arabian sport in particular,” added the GSA.
“Some Saudi Arabian clubs may face severe disciplinary sanctions because of the failure to meet financial obligations such as the
denial of the registration of players in general or the deduction of points.”
Unpaid salaries were also a factor in Al-Ittihad and Al-Nassr being unable to appear in this year’s AFC Champions League after they were denied AFC club licenses.
Al-Ittihad were the club with the highest debt of 309 million riyals ($82 million) and welcomed the news.
“We are delighted by the generous initiative of His Royal Highness,” Al-Ittihad president Nawaf Al-Muqairn said in an official statement released by the two-time Asian champions.
“This contributes to creating solid ground for all clubs to move toward achieving their goals.”
Legendary Saudi striker Sami Al-Jaber, recently appointed president of champions Al-Hilal, announced his gratitude on social media.
“Great thanks to His Highness the Crown Prince for the great support that the clubs have enjoyed which enables sport in our country to keep pace with the aspirations of our leadership,” Al-Jaber wrote.
The Crown Prince’s move followed the SAFF announcing a new raft of regulations in April that will come into effect next season and are designed to take the league forward. These included restricting club spending on transfers and salaries to 70 percent of revenue. The size of first-team squads has been reduced from 33 to 28, of which five must be homegrown players of 23 or younger.