UK politician wrongly accused of child abuse speaks of anger



Agence France Presse

Published — Thursday 15 November 2012

Last update 15 November 2012 7:33 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: A senior British politician on Thursday described his deep anger at being wrongly implicated in child sex abuse allegations by a top BBC news program.
Lord Alistair McAlpine, who was treasurer of the Conservative party when Margaret Thatcher was prime minister in the 1980s, said journalists investigating the story should have contacted him before it was broadcast.
About being wrongly under suspicion, he said: “You just think there’s something wrong with the world.”
The BBC said it hoped to reach a settlement with McAlpine over the report by its flagship Newsnight program on November 2 which implicated him in abuse at a children’s home in Wrexham in Wales.
The report did not name McAlpine, but strongly hinted at his identity.
The BBC has apologized “unreservedly” for the report and said several people involved will face disciplinary action.
The report led to the sudden resignation of BBC director-general George Entwistle on Saturday, deepening the crisis at the world’s largest broadcaster over sex abuse claims against one of its highest profile stars, the late Jimmy Savile.
McAlpine, who lives in Italy, said in an interview with BBC radio he had been “in a state of shock” after he heard of the allegations.
“To suddenly find I was mixed up in all this — and I didn’t know what Newsnight was going to say — it really was a horrendous shock.
“Of course they should have called me and I would have told them exactly what they learnt later on.”
“That it was complete rubbish and that I’d only ever been to Wrexham once in my life. They could have saved themselves a lot of agonizing and money, actually, if they’d just made that telephone call.”
It emerged that an abuse victim who had implicated McAlpine in the report had not been shown a photograph of him. Only after the program was broadcast did he realize he was not the man who had abused him.
McAlpine said the accusations had had a deep effect on him.
A statement from the BBC said: “We share Lord McAlpine’s view and we hope to reach a conclusion today.”
McAlpine’s lawyer Andrew Reid also called on people who had speculated about the politician on Twitter to apologize.
.”..It’s easier to come forward and see us and apologize and arrange to settle with us because, in the long run, this is the cheapest and best way to bring this matter to an end.”

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Three citizens, aged above 65, and a 32-year-old expatriate have died of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in Riyadh raising the death toll to 471 in Saudi Arabia since June 2012, the Ministry of Health said on Tuesday.It also reported...
JEDDAH: Five hospitals and health centers across the Kingdom have been ranked among the 10 top hospitals in the Arab World, according to the Webometrics Ranking of World Hospitals 2015 conducted by Cybermetrics Lab. King Faisal Specialist Hospital an...
RIYADH: The children of the martyrs and wounded soldiers will be given preference for jobs in the organization, KACST President Prince Turki bin Saud Bin Mohammad Al-Saud said Riyadh on Tuesday.On an initiative from the Ministry of Education, a two-d...
JEDDAH: The laboratory of Al-Amal Complex for Mental Health was recently ranked fifth in the RIQAS program for biochemistry out of 120 laboratories. It also came in sixth in the same program for the department of hematology among the 60 participants,...
RIYADH: Anticipating high temperatures during the Haj season, the Ministry of Health has made arrangements to install more equipment to treat heatstroke patients among pilgrims, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Al-Mirghalani said following a meeting...
RIYADH: The National Water Company (NWC) has added a new feather to its cap by launching an e-branch (website www.nwc.com.sa) to serve the customers around the clock.The NWC, which aims to become the leading water utility in the Gulf that comes under...
DAMMAM: Traffic regulations in the Kingdom and many countries of the world dedicate the right lane of highways and roads to trucks as they are designed to carry heavy weights in contrast to the other lanes, which are allocated for lighter weight vehi...
RIYADH: The solar-power plant, “Layla,” in Aflaj province, will be opened shortly, Saleh Al-Awaji, chairman of Saudi Electricity Company (SEC), has said.The Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) is one of the signatories, along with King Abdulaziz City for...
RIYADH: The expanded facility for machine readable passports (MRPs) at the Embassy of Pakistan will help the mission process over 1,200 applications on daily basis. The new setup was inaugurated on Tuesday.Saudi Arabia hosts the largest Pakistan comm...
RIYADH: The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) has directed manufacturers and their agents in the Kingdom to strictly follow the safety regulations for the new cars to be marketed to the Kingdom beginning 2017.In a statement r...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Social Affairs recently honored 20 academically gifted orphans whom it had earlier sent to Japan for ten days to visit attractions that include cultural and educational institutions. Ministry of Social Affairs Undersecretary D...
JEDDAH: Prince Bandar bin Abdullah, member of the board of trustees of King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz International Foundation for Humanitarian Action, spoke at the World Scout Jamboree in Japan. He expressed his gratitude and appreciation for the invi...
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Health has issued a circular to all health sector employees to ensure they sterilize their hands prior to dealing with patients.The circular, issued by Deputy Minister for Public Health Dr. Abdul Aziz Abdullah bin Saeed, is in...
JEDDAH: The Indonesian Consulate and community have been conducting their 70th Independence Day celebrations for the past three months by having different cultural and social activities. On Tuesday, the consulate arranged a blood donation camp with t...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Penal Court in Jeddah on Tuesday issued a preliminary verdict on the imprisonment of two Saudi suspects to 38 years.The first suspect was charged with firing on the police center in Awamiyah, Qatif Province, while the other wa...

Stay Connected

Facebook