UN failed Sri Lanka civilians, says probe



AGENCIES

Published — Wednesday 14 November 2012

Last update 14 November 2012 7:05 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

COLOMBO: The UN failed in its mandate to protect civilians in the last months of Sri Lanka’s bloody civil war, a leaked draft of a highly critical internal UN report says.
“Events in Sri Lanka mark a grave failure of the UN,” it concludes, according to the BBC. The government and Tamil rebels are accused of war crimes in the brutal conflict that ended in May 2009.
The UN does not comment on leaked reports and says it will publish the final version. The 26-year war left at least 100,000 people dead. There are still no confirmed figures for tens of thousands of civilian deaths in the last months of battle.
An earlier UN investigation said it was possible up to 40,000 people had been killed in the final five months alone. Others suggest the number of deaths could be even higher.
Former senior UN official Charles Petrie, who headed the internal review panel, said the “penultimate” draft the BBC has seen “very much reflects the findings of the panel.” He is now in New York to present the report to the UN Secretary-General.
Meanwhile, Sri Lankan police are hunting for five prisoners who escaped last week during a prison riot in which 27 inmates died, officials said yesterday. Six other escaped prisoners were captured earlier.
Prison Commissioner Gamini Kulathunga said Welikada Prison in Colombo has returned to normal after the shootout last Friday in which 27 inmates were killed and 42 other people were wounded, including prisoners, police commandoes, army troops and a passer-by.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived here yesterday evening on an official visit to the United States of America at the invitation of the US President Barack Obama.At Andrews Air Force Base Airport, he was received by US Secretary of...
JEDDAH: The government has banned the use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking at the holy sites during the Haj this year. Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, interior minister and president of the Supreme Haj Committee,...
RIYADH: The government plans to pay SR500,000 in compensation to the family of every person, regardless of nationality, who died from the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in the Kingdom, the Ministry of Health announced on T...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has launched a program to vaccinate all public and private sector workers on Haj duty this year.Launching the program at the ministry’s headquarters here on Thursday, Tarif Al-Ama, undersecretary for treatment services...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal was briefed Thursday about Murooj Jeddah residential project, located in the eastern part of the governorate. Representatives of the Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company, the executing company...
ANKARA: The Kingdom plans to highlight the country’s economic progress and influence globally at the meeting of G-20 Ministers of Labor and Employment here this week, said Mufrej Al-Haqabani, Saudi Arabia’s labor minister. In a statement to the Saudi...

Stay Connected

Facebook