UN OKs military action against Mali militants



The Associated Press

Published — Saturday 22 December 2012

Last update 21 December 2012 9:41 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

UNITED NATIONS: The UN Security Council on Thursday authorized military action to wrest northern Mali from the control of Al-Qaeda-linked extremists but demanded progress first on political reconciliation, elections and training African troops and police.
A resolution adopted unanimously by the UN’s most powerful body stressed that there must be a two-track plan, political and military, to reunify the country, which has been in turmoil since a coup in March. The Security Council authorized an African-led force to support Malian authorities in recovering the north — an area the size of Texas — but set no timeline for military action. Instead, it set out benchmarks to be met before the start of offensive operations, beginning with progress on a political roadmap to restore constitutional order.
The resolution also emphasizes that further military planning is needed before the African-led force is sent to the north and asks Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to “confirm in advance the council’s satisfaction with the planned military offensive operation.”
UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said recently he does not expect a military operation to begin until September or October of next year.
France’s UN Ambassador Gerard Araud told reporters Thursday it’s premature to say when the military operation will take place because African and Malian troops must be trained and much depends on the political process and the country’s extreme weather. “Our goal would be to have a real political process which will allow the Malian army to go back to its barracks in the northern part of the country without fighting,” he said. “That would be our preferred option.”
Mali was plunged into turmoil after a coup in March created a security vacuum. That allowed the secular Tuaregs, who have long felt marginalized by Mali’s government, to take half the north as a new homeland. But months later, the rebels were kicked out by Islamist groups allied with Al-Qaeda, which have now imposed strict Shariah law in the north. Many residents of northern Mali have expressed deep dismay at the timetable for the intervention, saying that the longer the world waits, the more entrenched the militants are becoming.
El Hadji Baba Haidara, a member of the Malian parliament for the northern city of Timbuktu, welcomed the resolution “in the hope of seeing our cities liberated as soon as possible.” “If we have wished for this resolution, it’s not to wipe out our people with soldiers but rather to drive out the armed groups who occupy our towns,” he said.
Timbuktu’s Mayor Ousmane Halle said Wednesday in a telephone interview that he feels abandoned by the West, and that only people who are not living through what he and his citizens are living through could consider holding off military action until next fall. “A living hell,” he said. Coup members created new political turmoil earlier this month when they arrested the country’s prime minister — a move that raised new concerns about the ability of the Malian military to take part in the operation to retake the north. The Security Council strongly condemned the Malian security forces for their continued interference in the work of the transitional authorities, and stressed the need to expeditiously restore democratic governance and constitutional order.
As the council spent months negotiating over what action to take, an Islamist group behind public executions and amputations in northern Mali, Ansar Dine, or “Defenders of the Faith,” has expanded its reach.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTNH) has encouraged businessmen to invest in tourism villages in Asir region.“Tourism villages are considered to be one of the most attractive options in the province,” said Mohammad A...
RIYADH: The General Presidency for Youth Welfare (GPYW) has taken part in serving pilgrims and visitors to the Two Holy Mosques as part of the organization’s voluntary and humanitarian work. In his statement, the head of the Riyadh office, Abdulrahma...
RIYADH: Prince Faisal bin Bandar, governor of Riyadh, opened on Wednesday 20 environmentally friendly entertainment projects with a total area of more than 270,000 sq. meters. Among interesting features of these new parks are replicas of the Eiffel T...
JEDDAH: Children and youths afflicted with cancer in the Eastern Province have launched a campaign against terrorist attacks. The patients, their families and doctors have slammed the attacks, which saw many killed and injured, a local publication re...
RIYADH: The World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) is a major player when it comes to relief work in countries wrecked by human tragedies, Secretary-General Saleh Al-Wohaibi said on Tuesday.He was addressing some 700 guests at the 13th annual iftar pa...
JEDDAH: The General Committee for the Municipal Elections has issued new regulations to oversee the polls, which will be taking place on Dec. 12, 2015.The rules released on Monday spelled out requirements for council members, list of violations and a...
JEDDAH: The Martyrs Fund has announced that it disburses 75 percent of its annual revenues to helping the needy families of martyrs, the wounded, prisoners of war and missing persons.Approximately 25 percent of the revenues is allocated for further i...
RIYADH: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman of Kingdom Holdings, has announced that his entire $32 billion fortune would be donated to charity after his death.The prince told reporters at his offices in Riyadh on Wednesday that he would move his asse...
MADINAH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived in Madinah on Tuesday accompanied by several princes and senior officials for his first visit since ascending the throne. He was met at the airport by Madinah Gov. Prince Faisal bin Salma...
JEDDAH: The Council of Ministers has condemned the terrorist attacks in Kuwait, France, Tunisia and Egypt over the past few days.At its weekly meeting chaired by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman on Monday night, the Cabinet said that the...
JEDDAH: The father of the suicide bomber who blew himself up in a mosque in Kuwait has blamed “evil” forces for his son’s behavior.Sounding confused and sad, Sulaiman Al-Gabbaa, the father of Fahad Al-Gabbaa, said: “An evil hand has sent my son to hi...
JEDDAH: The Saudi Traffic Department has denied that it is introducing new license plates for cars.It said hackers posted pictures of the supposedly new license plates on its Twitter account on Sunday. The department said the news, which went viral,...
JEDDAH: The Al-Haramain Train project is described as the largest public transportation project in the Middle East. This vital and strategic project is one of the implementation schemes of the mass expansion of the Saudi railway across the country.Th...
JEDDAH: The number of marriages between expatriates and Saudis has dropped 84 percent to 1,928 since the start of this Islamic year that began on Oct. 24, compared to the same period the previous year.The Ministry of Justice said that there were 12,0...
JEDDAH: The General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA) launched the idea of a project called Watani to link all parts of the Kingdom by air by beefing up activities at important provincial airports.Capt. Abdul Hakim Badar, assistant vice president a...

Stay Connected

Facebook