Water leak repairs save SR 600 million

Updated 11 December 2012
0

Water leak repairs save SR 600 million

More than 97 million cubic meters of water have been saved this year in Riyadh, Jeddah, Makkah, and Taif as a result of water leak repairs, said a spokesman from the National Water Company (NWC).
This amounts to SR 600 million. In Riyadh only, water savings reached 52 million cubic meters, while in Jeddah 13 cubic meters of water was saved, and lastly, in Makkah and Taif 27, 4 million cubic meters respectively were spared.
The company said it used modern technologies to detect invisible water leaks. For the first time in the Middle East, audio equipment and radars were used to examine water networks, as well as Helium, for the observation and detection of leakages. The use of the latest and most advanced equipment in water leakage detection has led to prompter repairing of breakages in water networks. Moreover, the company seeks to achieve its objectives to preserve water by providing extensive programs to detect seen and unseen water leaks, improving overall performance and addressing environmental issues according to accredited technical standards. This comes with the aim of increasing operational efficiency in the sector and reducing expenditures. In addition, it aspires to improve the management of demand on water according to international performance rates.
Since its establishment three years ago, the company managed during this short period to minimize the amount of wasted water through the nationalization of technology and the use of a package of modern technical programs. All these indicators, and technical data, suggest the overall improvement in the sector’s performance and the achievement of the company’s goals.
It is worth mentioning that the company achieved 67 million cubic meters (SR 400 million) in savings last year as a result of water leak repairs in Riyadh and Jeddah.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

In this file photo, Saudi forces can be seen repelling a Houthi attack in Najran, near the Yemen border. (Reuters)
Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.