39 hacked to death in Kenya tribal violence



Agence France Presse

Published — Friday 21 December 2012

Last update 22 December 2012 9:49 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

NAIROBI: At least 39 people including women and children were hacked to death and their homes set ablaze in an attack Friday on a remote village in Kenya’s southeastern coastal region, where deadly tribal violence also erupted earlier this year.
Police attributed the killings to a disarmament operation that stoked long-simmering tensions between rival communities in the Tana river delta area, but they could also be linked to the March election, the first since Kenya was gripped by deadly violence after the December 2007 vote.
The raid on Kipao village in the Tana delta in the early hours “unleashed terror” on the inhabitants, who were hacked as their huts were set on fire, police said.
39 people were killed in all — 30 villagers and nine assailants.
Pictures posted on the Twitter feed of the Red Cross, which said earlier that 30 people had been killed, showed the charred walls of mud huts still standing, their thatched roofs reduced to nothing.
“I can confirm 39 people have been killed early this morning, during tribal clashes,” Coast province police chief Aggrey Adoli told AFP. “Thirteen are children, six women and 11 men all from the Orma community. The other nine are militiamen from the Pokomo community.”
He said police are still hunting for the killers of the villagers, who are from the Orma tribe and are mainly herders.
The Red Cross said its rescue teams were tending to the wounded, some 30 of whom were in a critical condition. It gave no total figure for the number of people injured.
A reporter who visited some of the hospitals which took in the injured said he saw people mostly suffering machete wounds.
In August and September more than 100 people were killed in violence between rival communities living along the Tana river, whose muddy red waters are flanked by dense vegetation.
Police were unable to stop the violence between the Orma and the Pokomo — who are mainly farmers — and some 10 officers were killed. Around 1,000 men from the special police forces had to be deployed to restore order.
Relations have long been fraught between the two communities, with conflicts flaring intermittently over access to land and water points. Observers who saw the violence in August and September however said the raids were very well organized and some of them involved militia from other areas.
Tensions resurfaced in the past few days during a disarmament operation.
“There has been tension in the last two days over an order to have communities surrender arms, some were feeling the government was lenient on one side,” a police source said.
But the violence could also be linked to the March 4 election, as Kenyans normally vote along ethnic lines and if a significant number of people were forced out of the region it could have an impact on results there.
Kenyans are set to choose a successor to President Mwai Kibaki, who is not running again, as well as new lawmakers, governors and local officials.
The last elections in December 2007 were followed by the worst outbreak of violence Kenya has seen since independence, shattering the country’s image as a beacon of regional stability. The unrest killed at least 1,100 people and displaced more than 600,000.
Traditionally however, violence linked to elections has tended to take place before the actual polls.
Two presidential running mates, Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta, 51, and his deputy, ex-minister William Ruto, 45, must stand trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) for their alleged role in the 2007-08 unrest.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: The Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTNH) has encouraged businessmen to invest in tourism villages in Asir region.“Tourism villages are considered to be one of the most attractive options in the province,” said Mohammad A...
RIYADH: The General Presidency for Youth Welfare (GPYW) has taken part in serving pilgrims and visitors to the Two Holy Mosques as part of the organization’s voluntary and humanitarian work. In his statement, the head of the Riyadh office, Abdulrahma...
RIYADH: Prince Faisal bin Bandar, governor of Riyadh, opened on Wednesday 20 environmentally friendly entertainment projects with a total area of more than 270,000 sq. meters. Among interesting features of these new parks are replicas of the Eiffel T...
JEDDAH: Children and youths afflicted with cancer in the Eastern Province have launched a campaign against terrorist attacks. The patients, their families and doctors have slammed the attacks, which saw many killed and injured, a local publication re...
RIYADH: The World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) is a major player when it comes to relief work in countries wrecked by human tragedies, Secretary-General Saleh Al-Wohaibi said on Tuesday.He was addressing some 700 guests at the 13th annual iftar pa...
JEDDAH: The General Committee for the Municipal Elections has issued new regulations to oversee the polls, which will be taking place on Dec. 12, 2015.The rules released on Monday spelled out requirements for council members, list of violations and a...
JEDDAH: The Martyrs Fund has announced that it disburses 75 percent of its annual revenues to helping the needy families of martyrs, the wounded, prisoners of war and missing persons.Approximately 25 percent of the revenues is allocated for further i...
RIYADH: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, chairman of Kingdom Holdings, has announced that his entire $32 billion fortune would be donated to charity after his death.The prince told reporters at his offices in Riyadh on Wednesday that he would move his asse...
MADINAH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived in Madinah on Tuesday accompanied by several princes and senior officials for his first visit since ascending the throne. He was met at the airport by Madinah Gov. Prince Faisal bin Salma...
JEDDAH: The Council of Ministers has condemned the terrorist attacks in Kuwait, France, Tunisia and Egypt over the past few days.At its weekly meeting chaired by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman on Monday night, the Cabinet said that the...
JEDDAH: The father of the suicide bomber who blew himself up in a mosque in Kuwait has blamed “evil” forces for his son’s behavior.Sounding confused and sad, Sulaiman Al-Gabbaa, the father of Fahad Al-Gabbaa, said: “An evil hand has sent my son to hi...
JEDDAH: The Saudi Traffic Department has denied that it is introducing new license plates for cars.It said hackers posted pictures of the supposedly new license plates on its Twitter account on Sunday. The department said the news, which went viral,...
JEDDAH: The Al-Haramain Train project is described as the largest public transportation project in the Middle East. This vital and strategic project is one of the implementation schemes of the mass expansion of the Saudi railway across the country.Th...
JEDDAH: The number of marriages between expatriates and Saudis has dropped 84 percent to 1,928 since the start of this Islamic year that began on Oct. 24, compared to the same period the previous year.The Ministry of Justice said that there were 12,0...
JEDDAH: The General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA) launched the idea of a project called Watani to link all parts of the Kingdom by air by beefing up activities at important provincial airports.Capt. Abdul Hakim Badar, assistant vice president a...

Stay Connected

Facebook