Ex-Maldives president arrested

Updated 06 March 2013
0

Ex-Maldives president arrested

COLOMBO: The former president of the Maldives was arrested yesterday on charges of abuse of power during his tenure, setting off violent protests in the capital, which saw seven policemen hurt.
Police spokesman Hassan Hanif said Mohamed Nasheed was arrested at his home in Male, the capital, and will be produced in court today. He said Nasheed failed to appear for a hearing and evaded two arrest warrants.
He said Nasheed’s supporters turned violent soon after the arrest, attacking police and burning a motorbike.
Ahmed Zahir, President of Maldives’ Journalists Association, said two reporters covering Nasheed’s arrest were beaten up.
“Assaulting my brother Ali Waheed will not help Nasheed escape justice,” President Mohammed Waheed Hassan tweeted after mobs tried to attack his brother.
Nasheed is charged with illegally ordering the arrest of a senior judge, a move that led to his fall from power in February 2012.
Hassan, his vice president, replaced him. Nasheed says he was forced out at gunpoint in a coup, though a commission of inquiry dismissed that claim last year.


Report: US to send caskets to North Korea to return war remains

Updated 23 June 2018
0

Report: US to send caskets to North Korea to return war remains

  • South Korean media say the US military plans to send 215 caskets to North Korea through a border village
  • North Korea agreed to send home US war remains during a June 12 meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump

SEOUL, South Korea: South Korean media say the US military plans to send 215 caskets to North Korea through a border village so that the North could begin the process of returning the remains of US soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.
Officials from the United States Forces Korea and South Korea’s Defense Ministry on Saturday did not immediately return calls for comment.
South Korea’s Yonhap news agency cited an unnamed source as saying that about 30 US military vehicles carrying the caskets were expected to cross into the North on Saturday afternoon.
North Korea agreed to send home US war remains during a June 12 meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump.