Karzai condemns NATO killing of two boys



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Monday 4 March 2013

Last update 4 March 2013 1:52 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

KABUL: Afghan President Hamid Karzai yesterday condemned a NATO helicopter strike in which two brothers, both under seven years old, were shot dead after being mistaken for Taleban insurgents.
The two boys were tending livestock and collecting firewood in the southern province of Uruzgan when they were killed on Thursday in an incident that drew an abject apology from the NATO-led coalition.
Civilian deaths caused by international forces have often triggered outrage in Afghanistan since the Taleban were ousted in 2001, and Karzai said that the latest incident highlighted errors in how the insurgents are being tackled.
“The government has repeatedly stressed that the war on terrorism cannot succeed in Afghan villages and homes, but rather in its sanctuaries and safe havens outside our borders,” Karzai said in a clear reference to Pakistan.
The president said he was deeply grieved over the deaths and offered his condolences to the boys’ family.
Uruzgan Governor Amir Mohammad Akhundzada had blamed Australian soldiers for the incident but yesterday his spokesman said it was unclear who was responsible.
“We have sent a delegation to investigate and find out what exactly had happened,” Abdullah Hemat said.
“The troops called in air support after spotting people they thought were planting roadside bombs.
“They were kids herding their animals and collecting firewood. It is not clear whether they were killed by Australians or Americans.” Australian military chief Gen. David Hurley said he deeply regretted the deaths but added it was too early to say who was responsible.
Hurley said Australian special operations soldiers were on the ground conducting a routine liaison patrol when the shooting occurred on Feb. 28.
“Australian personnel immediately reported the incident to Afghan government officials and military leaders in Uruzgan,” he said in a statement yesterday.
The NATO-led coalition, to which Australia contributes close to 1,100 soldiers, has apologized over the children’s deaths, saying its troops had opened fire at what they believed were insurgent forces.
“We take full responsibility for this tragedy,” General Joseph Dunford, commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said on Saturday.
Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most contentious issues in the campaign against Taleban insurgents, provoking harsh criticism from Karzai and angry public protests.
The bulk of Australia’s troops are based in Uruzgan, and are focused on training and mentoring Afghan soldiers ahead of the withdrawal of NATO combat troops by the end of next year.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

ABHA: Several Saudi businesswomen started traveling with a group of friends after recent regulations which allow women to travel without their mahram. These women said they find great fun to travel as a group with their friends and their children, wh...
RIYADH: The United Nations, Arab League and Gulf Cooperation Council welcomed the Kingdom-led coalition’s announcement of a five-day cease-fire, that took effect at midnight on Sunday, to push humanitarian relief in war-ravaged Yemen to the beleaguer...
ALKHOBAR: Jobless Saudi women constitute 70 percent of the unemployed. The Ministry of Economy and Planning said 58 percent of the jobless have preparatory school level education. According to the statistics, the annual unemployment growth rate among...
RIYADH: Saudi Arabia has found traces of a civilization that was domesticating horses about 9,000 years ago, 4,000 years earlier than previously thought. The discovery has shed new light on the origin of the Arabian horse, which has remained a great...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Labor in the Makkah region found 250 laborers working on various construction projects during restricted hours of the day. Punitive measures will be taken against the employers of these workers. According to a ministerial decr...
JEDDAH: When poverty is your guest for 15 years, gardens, parks, streets and pavements become your abode under the unavoidable scorching sun. One has to face hardships of hunger and survive on breadcrumbs. This is the situation of a 60-year-old Saudi...
JEDDAH: The negative attitudes of society in dealing with harassment and abuse cases prevent victims from reporting a great number of such cases to the authorities.Despite this, about 3,982 cases reached the country's criminal courts in 1435 and 1436...
AL-QATIF: The Omani security forces have arrested a man who, they said, accidentally fired a bullet that hit a young Saudi girl in a hotel in Musandam on Saturday. Four-year-old Zainab bint Mohammed Labad of Al-Awamiyah was playing in the hotel lobby...
Ramon Corvera, deputy chief of mission at the Argentinian Embassy in Riyadh.* Which particular aspect of Saudi Arabia you like the most? The natural beauty of the desert.* What is your favorite and oft-repeated Arabic word? Masha’Allah.* Which book i...
JEDDAH: The creativity and entrepreneurship community program of Umm Al-Qura University brought together 80 creative entrepreneurs to exchange their experiences and knowledge on Monday. Fawaz Saad, the dean of the institute for innovation and entrepr...
RIYADH: The August issue of ‘Nature’, the monthly magazine of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), will focus on Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) corona, which has affected 1,055 people in the Kingdom since June 2012.The to...
LILLE, France: Saudi Arabia’s firm stand against the phenomenon of violence as well as religious, ethnic and cultural fanaticism came in for praise at an international symposium, which concluded here.The participants of the symposium on "Media Covera...
DAMMAM: Saudi Arabian Boy Scouts Association (SABSA) is participating in the 23rd World Scout Jamboree with the slogan “A Spirit of Unity,” which starts July 28 and runs until August 8 in Kirara-hama, Japan. A total of 32,000 scouts from 144 national...
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Labor was able to increase the number of Saudi women employees from 70,000 to 428,000 during the past four years, Abdul Munim Al-Shehri, assistant undersecretary for special programs, has said . The ministry is now working on...
JEDDAH: A court issued a 10-year prison sentence against a health employee in Al-Ahsa and fined him SR1 million for getting involved in forgery and fraud as well as embezzling public funds in contracts to import medical equipment for the Children and...

Stay Connected

Facebook