Daesh rebels claim attack on Italian priest in Bangladesh

1 / 2
2 / 2
Updated 20 November 2015

Daesh rebels claim attack on Italian priest in Bangladesh

DHAKA: Daesh militants on Thursday claimed responsibility for shooting and wounding an Italian priest in Bangladesh this week, the latest in a spate of recent attacks on foreigners claimed by the militant network.
Piero Parolari, a priest and doctor who worked at the Suihari Catholic Mission in the northern city of Dinajpur, was shot at close range by three gunmen on a motorbike on Wednesday.
“Security detachments of soldiers of the Caliphate in Bangladesh carried out some unique operations (including)... Targeting the Italian Crusader foreigner Piero Parolari,” the militant monitoring organization SITE quoted Daesh as saying in a message posted on Twitter.
The priest’s shooting followed the murders of an Italian faith-based aid worker in late September and a Japanese farmer last month, which were also claimed by Daesh.
A Daesh radio bulletin also quoted by SITE on Thursday said: “A Daesh cell tracked and targeted an Italian crusader missionary on his way to work... shot him multiple times, leaving him critically wounded and subsequently hospitalized.”
Bangladesh police said they had no proof who was behind Parolari’s shooting in Dinajpur, about 350 kilometers (220 miles) from the capital Dhaka.
“Unless we can find out who has actually executed the operation, we can’t say who or which group was behind the attack,” Dinajpur police chief Ruhul Amin told AFP.
The attack on the priest bore “some similarities with the previous attacks on foreigners,” who were also shot by gunmen riding on motorbikes, he added.
Aged in his 60s, Parolari has been based at Suihari Catholic Mission in Dinajpur for more than 30 years, according to another priest, Anthony Sen, who lives in the same city.
Bangladesh authorities have previously said there is no evidence that Daesh militants are active in the country.
According to SITE, Daesh on Thursday also claimed the shooting of a Baha’i community faith leader and the killing of a Sufi site chief earlier this month in Rangpur, close to where Parolari was shot.
Police officials however told AFP they believed “internal disputes” were behind the deaths of the Baha’i and Sufi leaders.


Myanmar troops’ sexual violence against Rohingya shows ‘genocidal intent’ — UN report

Updated 36 min 5 sec ago

Myanmar troops’ sexual violence against Rohingya shows ‘genocidal intent’ — UN report

  • Hundreds of Rohingya women and girls were raped, with 80 percent of the rapes corroborated by the Mission being gang rapes, says report
  • A military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state that began in August 2017 drove more than 730,000 Rohingya to flee to Bangladesh

UNITED NATIONS: Sexual violence committed by Myanmar troops against Rohingya women and girls in 2017 was an indication of the military’s genocidal intent to destroy the mainly Muslim ethnic minority, United Nations investigators concluded in a report released on Thursday.
The panel of independent investigators, set up by the UN Human Rights Council in 2017, accused Myanmar’s government of failing to hold anyone accountable and said it was responsible “under the Genocide Convention for its failure to investigate and punish acts of genocide.”
A military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state that began in August 2017 drove more than 730,000 Rohingya to flee to Bangladesh. Myanmar denies widespread wrongdoing and says the military campaign across hundreds of villages in northern Rakhine was in response to attacks by Rohingya insurgents.
“Hundreds of Rohingya women and girls were raped, with 80 percent of the rapes corroborated by the Mission being gang rapes. The Tatmadaw (Myanmar military) was responsible for 82 percent of these gang rapes,” the report said.
The Myanmar government has refused entry to the UN investigators. The investigators traveled to refugee camps in Bangladesh, Thailand and Malaysia, and met with aid groups, think-tanks, academics and intergovernmental organizations.
In an August 2018 report, the investigators laid out five indicators of genocidal intent by the Myanmar military: the use of derogatory language; specific comments by government officials, politicians, religious authorities and military commanders prior, during and after the violence; the existence of discriminatory plans and policies; evidence of an organized plan of destruction; and the extreme brutality of the campaign.
“The Mission now concludes on reasonable grounds that the sexual violence perpetrated against women and girls that began on 25 August 2017 was a sixth factor that indicated the Tatmadaw’s genocidal intent to destroy the Rohingya people,” the new report said.
The conclusion was based on “the widespread and systematic killing of women and girls, the systematic selection of women and girls of reproductive ages for rape, attacks on pregnant women and on babies, the mutilation and other injures to their reproductive organs, the physical branding of their bodies by bite marks on their cheeks, neck, breast and thigh.”
It said that two years later no military commanders had been held accountable for these and other crimes under international law and that the government “notoriously denies responsibility.”
“Myanmar’s top two military officials remain in their positions of power despite the Mission’s call for them to be investigated and, if appropriate, prosecuted for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide,” the report said.
The investigators said they had collected new information about alleged perpetrators and added their names to a confidential list that will be shared with the UN Human Rights chief Michelle Bachelet and another UN inquiry charged with collecting and preserving evidence for possible future trials.