North Korea warns US forces of ‘destruction’



REUTERS

Published — Sunday 24 February 2013

Last update 24 February 2013 6:48 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

SEOUL: North Korea yesterday warned the top US military commander stationed in South Korea that his forces would “meet a miserable destruction” if they go ahead with scheduled military drills with South Korean troops, North Korean state media said.
Pak Rim-su, chief delegate of the North Korean military mission to the inter-Korean truce village of Panmunjom, gave the message by phone to Gen. James Thurman, the commander of the US Forces Korea, KCNA news agency said.
It came amid escalating tension on the divided Korean peninsula after the North’s third nuclear test earlier this month, in defiance of UN resolutions, drew harsh international condemnation.
A direct message from the North’s Panmunjom mission to the US commander is rare.
North and South Korea are technically still at war after their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.
The US-South Korean Combined Forces Command is holding an annual computer-based simulation war drill, Key Resolve, from March 11 to 25, involving 10,000 South Korean and 3,500 US troops.
The command also plans to hold Foal Eagle joint military exercises involving land, sea and air maneuvers. About 200,000 Korean troops and 10,000 US forces are expected to be mobilized for the two month-long exercises, which starts on March 1.
“If your side ignites a war of aggression by staging the reckless joint military exercises...at this dangerous time, from that moment your fate will be hung by a thread with every hour,” Pak was quoted as saying.
“You had better bear in mind that those igniting a war are destined to meet a miserable destruction.” Washington and Seoul regularly hold military exercises, which they say are purely defensive. North Korea, which has stepped up its bellicose threats toward the United States and South Korea in recent months, sees them as rehearsals for invasion.
North Korea threatened South Korea with “final destruction” during a debate at the UN Conference on Disarmament on Tuesday.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A total of 172,000 pilgrims have arrived via 861 flights from around the world at King Abdulaziz International Airport so far, said Turki Al-Theeb, the airport’s director of media and public relations.He said the number of Haj flights are exp...
RIYADH: Saudis from all walks of life are hopeful that the visit of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman to the United States this week will strengthen relations between the two countries and ensure a peaceful and stable Middle East.Shoura C...
JEDDAH: Security forces killed a terrorist who tried to attack a security facility in Abqaiq on Friday, the Interior Ministry said.Sgt. Ali Al-Habeeb, 47, was killed during the confrontation with the attacker, identified as Nawaf Manahi Shabib Al-Ota...
ANKARA: Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has said that unemployment among Saudis is relatively high, pointing to the negative impact of retreating oil prices on the economy and labor market. He confirmed that the Kingdom was continuing with the impl...
JEDDAH: The country’s newly elected municipal councils should have a say in selecting mayors and secretaries general of cities, participants at a Municipal Councils Forum suggested on Thursday.They proposed that the councils should compile a list of...
DAMMAM: Many Saudis have complained that while the Kingdom has attractive local tourist spots, several charge high prices, offer poor services and lack proper hygiene.They said that Taif, Abha, Baha, Jeddah and the Eastern Province have popular resor...

Stay Connected

Facebook