KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait’s ruler has warned that declines in the oil price were damaging the economy of the energy-rich Gulf state, urging lawmakers to “stop squandering resources” and to diversify revenues.
“We are witnessing a new cycle of low oil prices as a result of economic and political factors that have hit the global economy and started to negatively impact our national economy,” Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah said in a speech to open the new parliamentary term.
The emir called on the government and parliament to “safeguard our oil and fiscal wealth.”
“You have the responsibility to stop squandering resources, rationalize spending and direct subsidies to reach those who need it... without impacting the standard of living,” he said.
He also called for stepping up plans to reduce Kuwait’s dependence on oil revenues by diversifying the economy.
“I have repeatedly called ... for establishing productive economic activities to create jobs for youth, diversify the resources of income of the country and reduce national economic dependence on oil,” he said.
Oil prices have lost more than a quarter of their value since June, hitting the state coffers of energy-dependent countries like Kuwait.
Oil income accounts for about 94 percent of Kuwaiti revenues. But Kuwait has piled up massive fiscal reserves of more than $500 billion during the past 15 years due to high oil prices.
Earlier this month, Kuwait began reducing public subsidies, estimated at $18 billion, on diesel, kerosene and aviation fuel. It is considering similar measures for electricity, water and petrol.
Public spending has risen more than three-fold in Kuwait over the past seven years, with the overwhelming majority of the increase going to wages and subsidies.
Abu Dhabi carrier Etihad has full support of state owner, will resume flights in May: CEO
- Etihad, which has lost $5.6 billion since 2016, halted passenger flights last month
- It also reduced staff wages by up to 50 percent for the month of April
DUBAI: Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways has the full support of its state shareholder as it plans a partial resumption of passenger flights from May 1, its chief executive Tony Douglas said on Thursday.
Several states have stepped in to assist airlines after the coronavirus outbreak virtually halted all international air travel, though the oil rich Abu Dhabi government has so far not said whether it would help the airline it owns.
“The cumulative gains achieve by our ongoing transformation, and the unwavering support of our shareholder, has left us in a relatively strong position to withstand any instability,” Douglas said in a statement.
Etihad, which has lost $5.6 billion since 2016, halted passenger flights last month and has reduced staff wages by up to 50 percent for the month of April.
It said it plans to operate a reduced schedule from May 1 until June 30 with the intention of gradually returning to normal operations as the global situation improves.
Opinion
This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)
Governments around the world have imposed strict entry restrictions, including banning their citizens from leaving and the entry of foreigners, and some countries, including the UAE, have halted most air travel.
“We remain cautiously optimistic and will push ahead with our plans to resume normal flying,” Douglas said.
Etihad and other UAE airlines have been operating outbound-only flights for foreigners wishing to leave the Gulf Arab state, which has banned the entry of foreigners.
The airline launched a five-year restructuring program in 2017 and has trimmed its ambition of being a major intercontinental airline to a focus on point-to-point flights.









