Terrorist attempt to ‘destabilize, divide’ the Kingdom denounced

Terrorist attempt to ‘destabilize, divide’ the Kingdom denounced
Updated 07 November 2014

Terrorist attempt to ‘destabilize, divide’ the Kingdom denounced

Terrorist attempt to ‘destabilize, divide’ the Kingdom denounced

Saudi Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Asheikh has slammed the terrorists who gunned down seven people this week, for trying to destabilize and divide the country.
“What happened in Al-Ahsa is an example of brutal aggression and a great injustice. This is carried out by sick minds seeking to incite fitna between people, God forbid,” he said.
He said these acts were being carried out by those who want “to open the door to sectarian conflict so that we kill and destroy each other,” he warned in a televised speech on Tuesday.
“We live in one state, secure and stable under a single government that brings us together,” the grand mufti said. He called on the government to punish those responsible in the harshest possible manner.
GCC Secretary-General Dr. Abdullatif bin Rashid Al-Zayani said: “The attack violates the basic principles of Islam. It was aimed at causing division and sedition. However, the terrorists will not succeed in achieving their nefarious objectives.”
Police found the body of one of the attackers in Buraidah on Wednesday. It was not clear who killed him. This means that three terrorists have lost their lives. The other two were killed in a shootout in Shaqra on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, thousands of people attended the funeral prayers Wednesday of two security officers killed in the shootout with the terrorists.
Prayers for Capt. Muhammad Al-Enezi and Cpl. Turki Al-Rasheed were held in Hail and in Buraidah. They were slain during a raid on a terrorist hideout in Mahlmin district in north Hail on Tuesday.
The two officers were members of the Qassim Emergency Force that conducted the raid in connection with Monday’s shootout in Al-Ahsa, which saw masked gunmen kill seven people.
Interior Minister Prince Mohammed bin Naif called on the family of Al-Rasheed in Hail and conveyed the condolences of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah and Crown Prince Salman. He later visited Buraidah and offered condolences to the family of Al-Enezi.
Hail Gov. Prince Saud bin Abdul Muhsin joined the funeral prayers for Al-Rasheed on Wednesday afternoon. Prince Saud offered his condolences to the bereaved family and said that citizens should be proud of their loyal service to their country. Undersecretary at the prince’s office, Saad Al-Bogami, also attended the prayers.
Meanwhile, security sources said that investigators had arrested 20 people in connection with the Al-Ahsa attacks. One person was freed after being arrested on 12 counts of terror-related charges.
According to the sources, members of the public had helped the security agencies arrest the suspects. Some have been released on bail.
Eyewitnesses said police conducted a raid in the Rawabi district in Riyadh, in connection with the Al-Ahsa attack. After police cordoned off and secured roads in the district, they heard gunshots. It was not clear whether it was warning shots or an exchange of fire.
A high-level security source, quoted by Asharq Al-Awsat, a sister publication of Arab News, on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media, said that some members of this “terrorist cell” had previously been arrested or convicted on terror-related charges.