Coalition urges Saleh cohorts to surrender

Coalition urges Saleh cohorts to surrender
Updated 30 April 2015

Coalition urges Saleh cohorts to surrender

Coalition urges Saleh cohorts to surrender

The Saudi-led coalition on Thursday called upon commanders supporting former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh to surrender.
“Brigade No. 19 has rejoined the legitimate government,” said Brig. Gen. Ahmad Al-Assiri, consultant in the office of the defense minister, during a press briefing.
Earlier, brigades 123, 127 and 133 also abandoned the Houthi militias to rejoin the legitimate government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. He said it “is time to withdraw support for the former president and join the Red Cross and other groups to deliver humanitarian aid to the citizens.”
He said: “We want to send the message across that the coalition is in control and is achieving its objectives at the outset of the campaign to restore the legitimate government.”
Al-Assiri added: “The airstrikes have isolated the militias, preventing them from gathering in groups and mounting an attack on civilians or taking them hostage to protect themselves.”
He added that the warehouses, buildings and arms depots where they have hidden their ammunition have been destroyed. “The coalition has targeted the militias moving toward the northern part of Yemen,” he said.
He said that bringing food supplies to Yemeni citizens is being done regularly with the help of the Popular Committees and tribal communities.
Asked if the coalition had been avoiding collateral damage, Al-Assiri said it has been taking care of the best interests of citizens in Yemen.