Saudi-led coalition’s raids destroy armed trucks near Yemen border

Updated 18 October 2015

Saudi-led coalition’s raids destroy armed trucks near Yemen border

JEDDAH: The Saudi-led coalition destroyed a mobile platform to launch Scud missiles in the capital Sanaa and trucks loaded with arms and ammunitions near the Saudi border, Al Arabiya News Channel reported.
Raids were also launched on Sanaa, and other provinces such as Saada and Al-Hudayda including two military camps.
In Taiz, resistance sources said dozens of the Iran-backed Houthi militias were wounded in confrontation in a number of neighborhoods. Civilians were also killed after random shelling by the terrorists.
Security officials, cited by the The Associated Press, said a UAE officer has been killed in a drive-by shooting in Aden.
The officials said Saturday that gunmen on a motorcycle killed the officer as he entered a store in Aden.
Also on Saturday, the Yemen government said it has been invited to take part in a new round of UN-brokered talks with the Houthis.
Spokesman Rajih Badi said: “We have received an invitation from UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, via his envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, to hold a new round of consultations with the Houthis and Ali Abdullah Saleh to implement UN Resolution 2216.”
The resolution calls for the withdrawal of Houthi forces from territories they have captured and for them to lay down their arms.
President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi has held talks with the Un chief in past days to discuss “preparation for consultations to end the bloodshed,” sabanew.net reported.
Last month, Hadi’s government backed away from UN-sponsored talks that were to be held in Oman, insisting the rebels first withdraw from territory they have seized.
The Saudi Civil Defense announced in a Twitter posting earlier that a Houthi missile landed on the Saudi border town of Samatah, injuring of eight people, including a woman.


Egypt receives new batch of Russian railroad cars

Updated 12 min 41 sec ago

Egypt receives new batch of Russian railroad cars

CAIRO: Egyptian Minister of Transport Kamel Al-Wazir announced that the Alexandria Port would be receiving a new batch of 22 passenger railroad cars, bringing the total of Russian railroad cars so far to 103 vehicles, as part of a deal to manufacture and supply 1,300 new passenger railroad cars.

The deal, signed between the Egyptian Railways Authority and Russian-Hungarian company Transmashholding, is the largest in the history of Egypt’s railways, with a value of €1.16 billion ($1.8 billion).

Al-Wazir confirmed that the 22 railroad cars that arrived are third-class vehicles with dynamic ventilation.

The deal includes 800 air-conditioned vehicles, 500 third-class air-conditioned vehicles (a new service offered to passengers for the first time in the history of Egyptian railways), 180 second-class vehicles, 90 first-class vehicles, 30 air-conditioned buffet vehicles and 500 dynamic ventilated third-class vehicles.

Al-Wazir indicated that 35 vehicles have arrived during the current month, which is the average monthly supply agreed upon with the manufacturer, pointing out that this rate enables the railway authority to form three new trains consisting of tractors and all-new cars that are entered monthly to become part of the line.

Al-Wazir said that the deal contributes to raising the efficiency of the Egyptian railways’ daily operations and schedules. This coincides with the Egyptian Railway Authority’s projects to modernize infrastructure, including signaling systems, crossings, stations and other aspects.

All these projects that the ministry implemented contributed to increasing safety and security in train operations and improving the level of service.

Egypt is seeking to develop its railways, the second oldest in the world, after witnessing unfortunate accidents during the past two decades.

Over the past few years, railways in Egypt have undergone major development, represented by the modernization of the fleet of tractors and vehicles of various classes and the maintenance of trains and old railways.

According to official data, Egypt spent EGP 40 billion ($2.5 billion) on railway development projects during the past six years. Projects at a cost of EGP 86 billion are currently under way, and there is a plan to start implementing others at a cost of EGP 55 billion.