Govt crackdown on Ramadan beggars

1 / 3
2 / 3
3 / 3
Updated 28 July 2012

Govt crackdown on Ramadan beggars

The Passport Department has launched an extensive campaign to crack down on the increased practice of begging during Ramadan.
The Passport Department has increased its staff and has been out in full force to implement anti-begging laws, patrol and arrest anyone found begging on the streets or in front of supermarkets and shopping centers, regardless of gender or age.
“Most of these beggars are expats who have purposely gained entry into the Kingdom to come to Jeddah and the two holy cities of Makkah and Madinah to take advantage of unsuspecting people who want to give charity during Ramadan,” Mohammed Al-Hussein, spokesman of the Passport Department in the Makkah province, said.
As part of their new campaign, the spokesman said, the Passport Department is currently cooperating with the committee for countering negative phenomena.
“Many of the beggars belong to begging rings that work as teams to bring in massive financial gains, amounting to hundreds of thousands of riyals being given to illegal expats,” Al-Hussein confirmed. The Passport Department in the Jazan province, where many illegal workers and beggars initially gain entry into the Kingdom, has also been stepping up efforts to catch entrants before they make it to major cities. It recently deported as many as 23,122 people.
“We found that various nationalities were in violation of up to 48 offenses, and that the majority of the expats were trying to travel to Jeddah ahead of Ramadan last week,” Maj. Ali Al-Qahtani, director of arrivals at the Passport Department in Jazan, said in a statement.
Director of the Jazan Passport Department Brig. Daifallah bin Sattam Al-Huwaifi called for continuous cooperation and coordination with security sectors. He commended the Kingdom's security sector for already having a deep positive impact by facilitating deportation proceedings.
He also thanked Al-Qahtani and the employees of the department of arrivals for their “outstanding efforts.”

 


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 20 October 2020

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested vaccine

  • COVID-19 cases continue to decline in Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.