Mediation to save neck of murderer fails

Updated 07 July 2012

Mediation to save neck of murderer fails

The attempts of more than 2,000 people including tribal chiefs and dignitaries from Al-Khurmah and other areas in Taif to save a murderer who has been on death row for 18 years have failed, local newspapers reported yesterday.
The son of the murdered man Faraj Al-Sibaie has refused to accept the diyyah (blood money) offered to save Awad Al-Harbi from beheading.
Al-Harbi shot his friend Al-Subaie in the head after they had a heated argument. He was convicted and then imprisoned at Taif general prison awaiting execution.
The son was only a few months old when his father was murdered. The execution had to be delayed until he turned 18 (which happened a few months ago) when he could decide whether to pardon Al-Harbi or not.
A delegation of tribal chiefs and dignitaries went to the victim’s family home where they were received by Sheikh Mashari bin Nasser Al-Subaie, chief of Al-Quraishat tribe, and other dignitaries from the Al-Khurmah region.
Sheikh Al-Subaie welcomed the delegation, thanking them and urged Al-Subaie’s family to pardon Al-Harbi.
He recited Qur’anic verses and the Prophet’s (peace be upon him) teachings demonstrating the importance of pardoning in Islam.
A number of tribal chiefs also asked the family to pardon the killer and accept the blood money.
The son refused and insisted Al-Harbi should pay for his crime.


Ministry makes 14-day gap between two Umrahs mandatory

Each group will be accompanied by supervisors who will ensure pilgrims respect social distancing, and follow instructions and a pre-adopted timeline. (SPA)
Updated 30 September 2020

Ministry makes 14-day gap between two Umrahs mandatory

  • The Kingdom is adopting extra vigilance during the Hajj and Umrah seasons to protect Muslims around the world
  • Umrah app to be available on Android soon

MAKKAH: Pilgrims must wait 14 days before booking another date for Umrah, while the Eatmarna app will be launched on Android soon, the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said.

“Pilgrims can perform Umrah twice, but must wait 14 days before performing Umrah the second time, to give a chance to everyone to perform Umrah in line with the necessary precautionary measures brought about by the coronavirus,” Dr. Amr Al-Maddah, the ministry’s chief planning and strategy officer, told Arab News.
The ministry is studying  the available spots that can  be used by the pilgrims to perform Umrah while maintaining social distancing, ensuring health protocols.
Al-Maddah said that so far 35,000 requests have been registered to perform Umrah.
Pilgrims will start performing Umrah on Oct. 4 within the first stage of the Umrah plan this year, in line with health protocols and procedures.
In the first phase, pilgrims will perform Umrah at six different times a day, giving each pilgrim three hours.


He added that between the sunset and evening prayers, pilgrims will not be allowed to perform Umrah and, instead, this period will be allocated to cleaning and disinfecting. “Pilgrims will start performing Umrah at midnight, with the place disinfected before the arrival of each group.”
Each group will be accompanied by supervisors who will ensure pilgrims respect social distancing, and follow instructions and a pre-adopted timeline. Isolation rooms will be provided at the central area’s hotels to handle any potential cases.
The second stage, scheduled to start two weeks later, will be preceded by a comprehensive assessment of the first stage to address any shortcomings.
“The Kingdom is adopting extra vigilance during the Hajj and Umrah seasons to protect Muslims around the world, and allow them to perform their pilgrimage in ease and peace in line with precautionary measures,” said Al-Maddah.
“The three-stage plan will provide feedback on pilgrims’ commitment to protocols and adjustment to current circumstances.”
He said that the app was supposed to be launched earlier, but was delayed due to Android policies.
The app was presented to both Apple and Android at the same time, but Apple completed the procedures earlier, he added.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance, Sheikh Dr. Abdullatif bin Abdul Aziz Al Al-Sheikh, announced the ministry’s readiness to receive Umrah performers in all Miqats in accordance with approved health protocols.
He commended leadership efforts to confront the pandemic, in addition to the government sector role in ensuring the safety of citizens, residents and Umrah performers.