GPC: Saleh has no role

Updated 26 April 2015

GPC: Saleh has no role

Saudi Arabia has banned its citizens from traveling to war-ravaged Yemen, especially through the borders, for safety reasons.
Saudis may be targeted by Houthi rebels or ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s militias in Yemen, sources have been quoted by a local publication as saying.
Meanwhile, sources said the secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) would meet, in nine days, with General People’s Congress (GPC) leader Saleh to discuss ways to resolve the crisis.
An official, who attended the first meeting of GCC Secretary-General Abdul Latif Al-Zayani with Yemeni parties in Riyadh, said the GPC leaders said that there is no place for Saleh in the political field in Yemen.
The official said a statement will soon be issued by the members confirming their support for President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi.
Earlier, Al-Zayani and Assistant Secretary-General for Security Affairs Brig. Gen. Hazza Al-Hajri met with a number of Yemeni parties to discuss the resumption of political process in Yemen.
Mummar Al-Aryani, member of the standing committee of GPC, said the leadership has conveyed to the GCC its support for the legitimate government in Yemen.
Saleh had recently called on all conflicting parties to stop fighting and return to dialogue in all provinces, demanding the release of all the prisoners and hostages.
In another development, Houthi militias snatched fuel from local residents in Aden and Taiz for their military vehicles. Yemeni cities have turned into ghost towns because of fuel shortages. According to sources, Saleh and Houthi militias have mobilized forces in the Al-Huwailen region, east of Taiz, reinforcing the military with tanks on the west side in a bid to storm the city.


Lebanon’s foreign minister resigns amid economic crisis

Updated 03 August 2020

Lebanon’s foreign minister resigns amid economic crisis

  • Nassif Hitti submits resignation to the prime minister and leaves government house without making any comments
  • Hitti’s resignation is a blow to Hassan Diab’s government

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s foreign minister resigned on Monday, becoming the first Cabinet minister to defect from his post amid the severe economic and financial crisis striking the country.
Minister Nassif Hitti’s submitted his resignation to the prime minister and left the government house without making any comments.
A career diplomat, Hitti became foreign minister in January as part of Prime Minister Hassan Diab’s government. He was was reportedly unhappy with the government’s performance and lack of movement on promised reforms.
Local media reports said he also was angered by Diab’s criticism of French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian following his visit to Beirut last month. Diab had said Le Drian “did not bring anything new” and was not properly informed about the reforms implemented by the Lebanese government.
It was not immediately clear whether his resignation would be accepted and whether one of the other ministers would assume his responsibilities in caretaker capacity until a new minister is appointed.
Hitti’s resignation is a blow to Diab’s government, which has struggled to implement reforms amid an unprecedented financial crisis and the coronavirus pandemic.