Brotherhood loses grip as anger boils

Updated 18 August 2013

Brotherhood loses grip as anger boils

Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood and its allies suffered a heavy blow from the state security crackdown, their central coordination has been lost and the bloodshed means anger is now “beyond control,” the group said.
The comments by spokesman Gehad El-Haddad pointed to the depth of the crisis facing the movement that just six weeks ago controlled the presidency, but is now struggling to keep a grip over its base with hundreds killed by the police. Haddad said he did not know where all of the group’s leaders were following the attack on two protest camps.
He added that two of them had been shot when the police moved to break up the camps. “The real danger comes when groups of people, angry by the loss of loved ones, start mobilizing on the ground.”
As the death toll soared to 578, weeping relatives in search of loved ones uncovered the faces of the bloodied, unclaimed dead in a Cairo.
US President Barack Obama canceled exercises with Egypt’s military to protest the killing, but stopped short of suspending $1.3 billion in annual aid. Obama urged army-installed authorities to lift emergency and allow peaceful dissent, saying he “strongly” condemned the crackdown on demonstrators.
The Washington Post wrote that the Obama administration was “complicit” in the crackdown as it had shown to Egypt’s rulers “that its warnings were not credible.”
Meanwhile, Egypt’s Interior Ministry has instructed police to use live ammunition against anyone who attacks government buildings.
The announcement came after hundreds of protesters attacked the local government offices in Giza.
Saudi Ambassador to Egypt, Ahmed Kattan, has urged Saudis in Egypt to follow curfew instructions. The month-long curfew is from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Phone numbers have been given for any help required. Saudi Embassy in Cairo (0237625000), Alexandria Consulate (034977596) Suez Consulate (01279000005/0122787775/0172900077)

RELATED STORIES:

Obama cancels joint war games with Egypt
UN Security Council to meet on Egypt; death toll now at 638

 


Syrian rebels seen on plane to Tripoli are ‘mercenaries for GNA’: Libyan newspaper

Updated 15 min 52 sec ago

Syrian rebels seen on plane to Tripoli are ‘mercenaries for GNA’: Libyan newspaper

  • In the video, the men are on their way to Libya where they will reportedly fight as mercenaries for the GNA’s militias
  • 2,000 Syrian fighters have traveled to Libya from Turkey or will soon arrive in the war torn country to fight for the GNA, The Guardian reported

LONDON: A video has emerged showing dozens of what appear to be Syrian rebels on an Afriqiyah Airways plane headed to Libya where they will allegedly fight alongside the country’s Government of National Accord (GNA), Libyan newspaper Al-Shahid has claimed.
In the video, the men — three of whom were seen wearing military uniforms — are on their way to Libya where they will reportedly fight as mercenaries for the GNA’s militias.
On Wednesday, British newspaper The Guardian published an article suggesting that 2,000 Syrian fighters have traveled to Libya from Turkey or will soon arrive in the war torn country to fight for the GNA. The Guardian cited Syrian sources in all three countries.
The oil-rich north African state has been in turmoil since a 2011 NATO-backed uprising that overthrew and killed dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
Haftar, who backs a rival administration in Libya’s east, launched a major military offensive to capture Tripoli in April 2019.
The military commander held talks in Athens on Friday, two days ahead of a peace conference in Berlin which he and the head of the GNA Fayez Al-Sarraj are expected to attend.