MERS virus claims second Jeddah victim

Updated 31 August 2013

MERS virus claims second Jeddah victim

A 55-year-old Jeddah man suffering from renal failure died of complications from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) at a Madinah hospital. His death brings the number of patients worldwide killed by the virus to 49.
Forty-three people have died of MERS in Saudi Arabia. The total number of cases in the Kingdom is 84.
Earlier this week, the Health Ministry reported that a 38-year-old Saudi, who was suffering from severe pneumonia and respiratory failure had died.
The victim in Madinah was a Saudi originally from Jeddah, making it the second reported MERS case from the city. A 2-year-old child died early in July.
The man was also suffering from chronic renal failure and was undergoing treatment at the ICU at King Fahd Hospital.
Meanwhile, Dr. Halden S. Shane, president and CEO of TOMI Environmental Solutions, Inc., of Beverly Hills, California, told an environmental and medical group at an infectious diseases conference in Riyadh that binary ionization technology could be effective in combating bacteria and viruses.
Binary ionization technology is a disinfection system that uses cold plasma to a hydrogen peroxide-based aerosol. The application could be effective against MERS, Shane told the group in Riyadh.
According to the WHO, 94 laboratory-confirmed and 16 probable cases of the MERS have been reported to the organization since April 2012. Other affected countries in the Middle East include Jordan, UAE and Qatar.


Houthis drone attack targets Saudi Arabia’s Al-Jawf

Updated 13 min 51 sec ago

Houthis drone attack targets Saudi Arabia’s Al-Jawf

  • The drone was intercepted over Yemeni airspace
  • The coalition destroyed three drones during the earlier 24 hours

DUBAI: The Arab coalition destroyed a Houthi drone targeting Al-Jawf in the north of Saudi Arabia, state news agency SPA reported on Monday.

Coalition forces intercepted the drone while it was still in Yemen’s airspace.

Arab coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said, the militia’s continued attempted attacks would end in failure,

Earlier on Monday, the coalition announced that they successfully destroyed three Houthi drones and intercepted six ballistic missiles targeting Saudi Arabia over 24 hours.

The missiles, which were launched from Saada, were targeting civilian areas in Al-Jazan, Al-Maliki said.

Earlier in August, 10 drones were fired at the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia, near the UAE border – the Houthis claim responsibility for the attack.

There were no injuries and operations were not disrupted.