Five soldiers killed in Libya’s volatile east

Updated 28 November 2013
0

Five soldiers killed in Libya’s volatile east

BENGHAZI, Libya: Three soldiers were shot dead in Libya’s second city Benghazi on Wednesday and the bodies of two more were found in the nearby eastern town of Derna, officials said. The latest violence came as Benghazi was on a three-day strike to protest against the country’s unruly militias after a shootout on Monday between a militant group and the army left seven people dead and another 50 wounded.
“Al-Jala hospital received the remains of three soldiers shot dead in separate attacks,” hospital spokeswoman Fadia Al-Barghathi said, adding that a fourth soldier had been hospitalized. The bodies of two more soldiers were found in the eastern town of Derna on Tuesday, a local official told AFP. Libyan forces guarding Benghazi’s Al-Jala hospital came under fire overnight, but no one was wounded, and the assailants fled after a special forces unit returned fire, a security official said.
The city council declared the three-day strike after an army patrol came under attack near the headquarters of Ansar al-Sharia, a jihadist group blamed for the 2012 attack on a US mission in which the ambassador and three other Americans were killed.
Libya has seen mounting unrest since the toppling of long-time dictator Muammar Qaddafi in 2011 by a ragtag assortment of rebel brigades.


Iran commemorates war with parade of tanks, missiles

Updated 23 September 2019

Iran commemorates war with parade of tanks, missiles

  • Saudi Arabia and the US have accused Iran of a Sept. 14 drone and missile attack on oil facilities

JEDDAH: As Saudi Arabia prepared to celebrate its National Day with entertainment events, firework displays and cultural events, Iran staged a military parade in Tehran on Sunday with tanks, missiles and armored vehicles.

President Hassan Rouhani and Iranian military leaders saluted as ranks of soldiers marched past them in tight unison, followed by an array of military hardware.

Among the weapons on display in the parade, held to mark the anniversary of the start of the Iran-Iraq war in 1980, was an upgraded warhead for the Khorramshahr ballistic missile, said to have a range of 2,000km, and the Kaman 12 drone with a range of 1,000km. Speedboats and warships were shown in video footage on state TV.

Saudi Arabia and the US have accused Iran of a Sept. 14 drone and missile attack on oil facilities in the east of the Kingdom. After the attack the Pentagon ordered US troops to reinforce Saudi air and missile defenses.

In a speech at Monday’s parade, Rouhani denounced the US presence. “Foreign forces can cause problems and insecurity for our people and for our region,” he said.

“If they’re sincere, then they should not make our region the site of an arms race.

“Their presence has always brought pain and misery ... the farther they keep themselves from our region and our nations, the more security there will be.”

The US aims to avoid war with Iran and the additional troops are for “deterrence and defense,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday.

“If that deterrence should continue to fail, I am also confident that President Trump would continue to take the actions that are necessary,” he said.