Bahrain upholds jail for 18, lifts travel ban on opposition leader

Updated 27 January 2014

Bahrain upholds jail for 18, lifts travel ban on opposition leader

MANAMA: A Bahraini court upheld on Monday jail sentences of 10-15 years for activists convicted of launching attacks on police and forming a “terror group,” a judicial source said.
In the first case, the appeals court confirmed 15-year prison sentences against each of 10 defendants convicted of attempting to murder four policemen, the source said.
They targeted the policemen in April 2012 in the village of Akr, near the capital Manama, according to the charges.
In the second case, the court upheld 10-year jail terms against each of three activists convicted of attempting to murder policemen in the village of Karzakan in February last year.
The defendants were accused of opening fire on policemen who were dispersing demonstrators in the village.
The court also upheld jail terms against five defendants in a third case, convicted of forming a “terror group” which prepared a car bomb that police uncovered in the Sitra area.
Two defendants have been jailed for 15 years, while the remaining three each received 10-year sentences.
Meanwhile, a defense lawyer said a court has lifted a travel ban against the head of the country’s main opposition group.
Lawyer Abdullah Al-Shamlawi said on Monday that prosecutors agreed to a defense request to lift the ban against Al-Wefaq head Ali Salman.
Salman was summoned by authorities in late December for questioning on allegations of incitement over comments made in a sermon. He was accused of using sectarian language, inciting hatred against the government and promoted rioting and vandalism.
He was let go but barred from traveling abroad while prosecutors considered the case.
The development comes less than two weeks after Salman and other opposition leaders met with Bahrain’s crown prince in talks aimed at defusing nearly three years of unrest.


Dawn of a new leader, Kuwait’s new emir sworn in and pledges to do his ‘utmost best’

Updated 30 September 2020

Dawn of a new leader, Kuwait’s new emir sworn in and pledges to do his ‘utmost best’

  • The new Emir said the country’s constitution ensured a “smooth transition” of leadership
  • He succeeds his brother Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah who ruled Kuwait since 2006

DUBAI: Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabeh has been sworn in as the new Kuwait Emir on Wednesday, vowing to carry out his responsibilities to his utmost best, state news agency KUNA has reported.
Al-Sabah said the country’s constitution ensured a “smooth transition” of leadership, as the country mourned the death of his brother Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah who ruled Kuwait since 2006.
“The trust bestowed upon me by the Kuwaiti people is a trust I bear in my neck,” the new Emir said.

(AFP)

“Kuwait has been subjected, throughout its long history, to serious and harsh challenges that we managed to overcome through cooperation,” he added.

Al-Sabah paid tribute to the previous leadership and said “Sheikh Sabah’s policy will remain a highlight for us.”
The Speaker of the Kuwaiti National Assembly Marzouq Al-Ghanim also spoke at the ceremony.
“We are confident that Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah will lead Kuwait to prosperity,” he said.

His appointment was immediately welcomed by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, who said that his country and Kuwait have always had strong bonds throughout the years.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi and Iraq’s Bahram Salih also congratulated the Sheikh Nawaf on his new role.