Heaviest snowstorm in 50 years hits Iran

Updated 15 May 2014

Heaviest snowstorm in 50 years hits Iran

TEHRAN: The heaviest snowstorm in five decades has blanketed provinces in northern Iran, cutting power supplies and trapping villagers, Iranian media reported Monday.
The storm is “unprecedented for the past 50 years, with two meters (almost seven feet) of snow falling since Friday,” a Mazandaran provincial official said, quoted by the media.
“Our main problems are (the provision of) power and water, which have been cut off due to the heavy snow,” he said.
According to officials, around 500,000 people in northern Iran have been left without electricity and gas since Saturday.
Iran’s Red Crescent head, Pir Hossein Kolivand, said teams have in the past four days rescued around 11,000 people caught in the heavy snow. Seven-nine people have been hospitalized, official IRNA news agency reported.
“Some 3800 people have also been settled in emergency shelters,” he added.
In Tehran, temperatures plunged to -7 C on Saturday, making it the capital’s coldest night of the year, while other provinces experienced temperatures as low as -18 C.
Some schools in northern Tehran were closed Monday because of the weather.
New snowstorms are expected from Monday night in the southwest of the country.


Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

Updated 27 January 2020

Turkey probes dozens over quake social media posts

  • Suspects accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media
  • Death toll from Friday’s quake had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors

ISTANBUL: Turkish prosecutors are investigating dozens of people for “provocative” social media messages about the deadly earthquake in eastern Turkey, reports said Monday.
The death toll from Friday’s quake in Elazig province had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors amid the rubble.
The Ankara prosecutor’s office is checking 50 individuals on suspicion of “spreading fear and panic” and “insulting the Turkish people, the Turkish republic and the state institutions,” the Hurriyet daily said.
The suspects are accused of sharing fake images about the quake on social media.
Turkish authorities were winding up their rescue efforts on Monday.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told reporters that 24,000 tents had been provided, 1,000 container shelters were being built, and funds released to repair damaged buildings.
Thirty-five of the victims died in Elazig and four in the neighboring province of Malatya, officials said.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 86 injured were still being treated in hospitals — 18 of them in intensive care units.