1.5 million counterfeit products seized

Updated 03 March 2014

1.5 million counterfeit products seized

The Ministry of Commerce and Industry has confiscated over 1.5 million pieces of counterfeit electrical equipment, including mobile phone chargers which were in violation of local specifications.
The counterfeit items were seized following a raid on a villa in central Riyadh, which had been converted into a warehouse by a commercial establishment. These products, which are hazardous to consumers, have been confiscated and the villa sealed, a statement by the ministry said.
The ministry said it received a complaint from a citizen saying he suspected the villa was being used as a warehouse for counterfeit electrical equipment, which were being supplied to commercial stores in Riyadh.
Monitoring teams were dispatched to the site for surveillance, and at an opportune time, security personnel conducted the raid and found expatriates repacking the counterfeit equipment in boxes carrying popular brand names and fake warranties.
The ministry said the confiscated equipment included more than 32,000 mobile phone chargers, 205,000 car mobile chargers, 6,000 iPhone electrical leads, 1,300 batteries for Nokia phones, 32,000 chargers carrying popular brand names, 35,000 headphones carrying various brand names and 125,000 empty boxes to repack the chargers.
The ministry has been carrying out comprehensive campaigns in warehouses and markets through its various branches spread across the Kingdom to confiscate counterfeit electrical equipment. The confiscated counterfeit materials are immediately destroyed besides ordering closure of shops violating norms.
The statement said the ministry strives, through such campaigns, to curb the practice of selling counterfeit electrical equipment, which pose a threat to the lives of consumers. The ministry stressed that it will not be lenient with anyone found selling and promoting counterfeit goods, the statement added.


Wait is almost over for music fans eager to learn who will headline E-Prix concerts

Updated 13 November 2019

Wait is almost over for music fans eager to learn who will headline E-Prix concerts

  • Organizers promise this year’s line-up of international stars at Diriyah event will be bigger than ever

RIYADH: The first of the major international music acts that will perform at the Diriyah E-Prix this month will be announced on Wednesday.

There were incredible scenes at the event last year when David Guetta, One Republic, the Black Eyed Peas, Amr Diab, Enrique Iglesias and Jason Derulo rocked the UNESCO World Heritage site. About 40,000 fans flocked to the Diriyah Circuit, on the outskirts of Riyadh, for the after-race concerts, the first unsegregated music events in Saudi Arabia

The stage is set for even bigger and better things this year, with the promise of another two nights of unmissable music on Nov. 22 and 23 as the E-Prix racing returns.

“If you were one of the 40,000 who were lucky enough to be part of that watershed moment (last year) for the Kingdom, believe me, you have not seen anything yet,” said Prince Abdul Aziz Al-Faisal Al-Saud, chairman of the General Sports Authority.

“Last year we told people before we announced (the acts) they should get their tickets early to avoid disappointment. Once we revealed who was coming, the tickets sold out incredibly quickly. This year will be the same but even bigger, so for music fans who want to enjoy the biggest concerts in Saudi Arabia, the smart move is to get your ticket now.”

The Diriyah E Prix kicks off the sixth season of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, the world’s premier all-electric motorsport series, with a double header of races. It also marks the start of Diriyah Season, a month of sport, entertainment, art, cultural festivities, food and retail experiences. Tickets for the Diriyah E Prix, which include entry to the after-race concerts, are available at www.diriyahseason.sa.