Additional 2,200 beds set for 11 hospitals

Updated 19 March 2014
0

Additional 2,200 beds set for 11 hospitals

The Ministry of Health on Monday announced that it is supplying 11 general and specialist hospitals and medical towers across the Kingdom with 2,200 beds.
“The Saudi government was allocated a SR990 million budget for 2014 and 2015 to furnish and equip several hospital projects and medical towers,” said Dr. Salah Al-Mazroua, deputy health minister for medical supplies and engineering affairs.
“These projects comes within the Health Ministry strategy for opening 45 new hospitals during the current year and next year,” he said.
Four mental health hospitals in Hail, Al-Kharj, Tabuk and Najran can accommodate up to 200 beds per hospital, while other hospitals in Hail, Qatif and Buraida can accommodate between 100 to 500 beds.
The Health Ministry opened 15 new hospitals with 3,450 beds across the Kingdom last year and plans to launch more hospitals and medical towers with 8,160 beds in 2014.
The ministry also plans to build special centers and health facilities for heart surgery and the treatment of tumors. The 132 hospital projects currently underway will create a total bed capacity of 38,739 beds in the country. This figure is expected to rise to 72,525 beds in 2019.
The Health Ministry aims to develop health facilities according to national and international standards to ensure equal distribution of easily accessible health services.


Sirens to ring out over Riyadh as Saudi’s Civil Defense test warning system

Updated 18 September 2019

Sirens to ring out over Riyadh as Saudi’s Civil Defense test warning system

Warning sirens will sound over Riyadh on Thursday as the General Directorate of Civil Defense carries out tests on its public alarm system.

The test, which will also take place in Ad-Dilam, Diriyah and Khafji, are being carried out to ensure the sirens are effective and ready, Directorate of Civil Defense spokesman in Riyadh, Lt. Col. Mohammed Al-Hammadi, said.

The tests come as Saudi Arabia – backed by international world powers – investigates Saturday’s attacks on the Aramco oil facilities.

The Saudi Aramco facilities were hit in drone strikes earlier this week, causing fires to break out.

The Houthis claimed responsibility, but the United States believes the attacks originated in southwestern Iran, a US official told Reuters, an assessment that further increases tension in the Middle East.

In response, Iran issued a denial, warning it would respond to any attacks.